Ed Wender is a Partner in our Corporate, Real Estate and Finance and Outside General Counsel practice groups. He has over 40 years of experience in commercial real estate and general business representation. He has provided advice to organize a number of entities that were organized to undertake securities offerings for the purpose of investing in residential and commercial real estate, either as a real estate investment trust (REIT), corporation or limited liability company. He has been counsel on acquisitions and sales of automobile dealerships, equipment dealerships and related businesses including leased and owned real estate utilized in the businesses acquired. He has represented a variety of borrowers with institutional lenders, Freddie Mac, HUD-insured loans and CMBS loan originators, involving hotels, mixed use developments, automobile dealerships, equipment dealerships, medical and other office buildings, multifamily apartments and shopping centers. In addition, he has provided general business counsel to a hotel management company and has acted as outside General Counsel to a business group of automotive, truck and equipment dealerships and related businesses. Mr. Wender has provided counsel to both management companies and owners in connection with the negotiation of management agreements for municipally-owned hotels and private owners.
Mr. Wender is experienced in providing (for borrowers) and reviewing (for lenders) transactional opinions.
Mr. Wender is an active volunteer for the Maryland Volunteer Lawyer Services (MVLS) and provides real estate and estate planning services to MVLS clients.
Mr. Wender is a frequent panelist on matters relating to limited liability company issues and limited liability company operating agreements.
- Represented a group of investors seeking to organize a limited liability company to invest in residential real estate projects.
- Provided non-consolidation opinions in connection with several real estate loans involving property in the Pacific Northwest.
- Provided assistance in drafting opinions required for borrowings by a variety of entities.
- Provided advice to organize real estate investment trusts.
- Represented a family in the sale of their ownership interests in a variety of automotive and equipment dealerships and related real estate.
- Represented a group of borrowers in connection with the $26,000,000 CMBS refinancing of a mixed-use development.
- Represented the purchaser of three equipment dealers having eight locations in four states in connection with the acquisition and financing of the dealerships.
- Provided non-consolidation opinions for a variety of real estate loans in the aggregate principal amount of over $1 billion dollars.
- Provided opinions for receivable securitizations in excess of five hundred million dollars.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers – Real Estate Maryland 2015-present
Publications and Speeches
- ABA Business Law Section In the Know CLE Representing Minority Members of Limited Liability Companies in Negotiating Operating Agreements – Panelist, June 2018
- ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting Multi-Member LLC Interests as Collateral and the New Model Form Security Agreement for Security Interests in LLC Membership Interests – Panelist, April 2018
- ABA Business Law Section In the Know CLE Drafting of Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements and Limited Partnership Agreements – Panelist, October 2014
- ABA Webinar Drafting of Limited of Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements and Limited Partnership Agreements – Panelist, June 2014
- ABA Webinar Leaky Umbrellas – Bankruptcy and Limited Liability Partnerships – Lessors from Big Law Bankruptcies – Moderator, December 2013
- ABA Webinar Breaking up is Hard to Do – Withdrawal and Resignation from Limited Liability Companies – Panelist, May 2013
- Radio Reading Network of Baltimore, Inc., Board Member and Chairman 2016-present
- Temple Oheb Shalom, Board Member, 2000-2006
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Real Estate and Estate Planning Section, Chair Webinar Committee of the LLC Limited Partnership and Unincorporated Entity Committee
- Member Business Law Section Joint Task Force on Drafting a Membership Interest Pledge and Security Agreement
- Maryland State Bar Association
News, Events & Insights
The Johns Hopkins University, B.A. Mathematics
University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
- Venable LLP, Partner
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit