David Dowd is a Partner in the Government Contracts, Privacy and Cybersecurity, and Litigation practices and has nearly 30 years of experience in top-tier law firms. He emphasizes prompt, practical, and efficient advice when helping contractors manage their legal and regulatory affairs.
Mr. Dowd is an experienced litigator. He has litigated dozens of bid protests regarding procurements valued in excess of $500 million. His protest experience encompasses aerospace & defense, information technology, engineering and other services, and a variety of commercial items.
Mr. Dowd also has litigated government contract claims in the boards of contract appeals and U.S. Court of Federal Claims as well as prime-subcontractor disputes in district courts.
Counseling contractors is a major part of his practice. He advises companies that sell military systems, information technology, health care, engineering services, and other industries involved in federal or state procurements. His counsel includes commercial items, conflicts of interest, cost allowability issues, treatment of data and other intellectual property rights, defective pricing, contract and subcontract negotiations, contract financing, assignments and novations, real estate leasing, Multiple Award Schedule program and government-wide acquisition contracts, other transactions, and procurement fraud.
Mr. Dowd’s work includes advice concerning responses to emergency and national security concerns, including use of the Defense Production Act.
- Successfully pursued bid protests regarding military helicopters and other defense articles, infrastructure projects, information technology contracts, and health care programs, among others.
- Counseled contractors concerning the preparation of requests for equitable adjustment and claims, as well as resolving such matters short of litigation.
- Advised leading manufacturers regarding Defense Production Act and Title III funding, including obtaining funding and identification of associated risks and compliance considerations.
- Counseled contractors through internal investigations and associated disclosures to Inspectors General and suspension and debarment officials.
- Advised companies regarding price reduction and other compliance considerations for Multiple Award Schedule contracts.
- Counseled companies regarding treatment of intellectual property under grants and cooperative agreements.
- Assisted companies in addressing domestic preferences and content requirements for procurement contracts and grant funding.
- Conducted due diligence regarding dozens of proposed acquisitions of government contracting businesses, including review of adequacy of buyers’ diligence for purposes of representation and warranty insurance.
News, Events & Insights
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
Georgetown University, A.B.
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Miller & Chevalier, Member
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia