Tim Lundgren’s practice focuses on energy and environmental law, where he represents developers and lenders as Michigan counsel on the development of energy generation projects and also represents clients before the Michigan Public Service Commission, including energy suppliers and marketers, independent power producers, manufacturers, agricultural processors, public entities and institutions, and trade associations representing competitive power supply and business interests. Dr. Lundgren also advises clients on developments in energy law and policy in Michigan and assists them in the development of legislative proposals.
In the environmental arena, Dr. Lundgren works on natural resource development and environmental permitting matters, including permitting for mineral extraction and large energy developments. He has done extensive work on matters related to water quality and water supply and use, including discharge permitting, storm water compliance, and water withdrawal. He has assisted clients on permitting and compliance matters on wetlands, inland waterways, and on the Great Lakes, including spill response efforts. He has considerable experience addressing site remediation and cleanup at client-owned sites as well as negotiating with state and federal regulatory agencies and advising clients at multi-PRP sites.
- Formed a group of IPP renewable generators, including hydroelectric, landfill gas, and waste-to-energy facilities, and successfully obtained new 20-year PPAs from the utility for them.
- Assisted multiple private equity funds in the purchase of regulated utilities, including advising on strategy and leading contested case litigation at the public service commission.
- Provided regulatory opinions for several wind and solar developments on behalf of developers and financing parties.
- Assisted with permitting and local land use issues for wind and solar generation projects.
- Successfully sought FERC waivers for a large university’s generating units.
- Assisted hydro, solar, wind, and landfill gas generators with interconnection requirements and agreements.
- Provided legal assistance with the development of renewable natural gas projects and related contracts and agreements.
- Regularly participate in a variety of contested case proceedings at the Michigan Public Service Commission and participate in multiple informal workgroup and stakeholder proceedings.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America®: Lawyer of the Year, Water Law – 2021
- Best Lawyers in America®: Energy Regulatory Law, Water Law – since 2013
- Best Lawyers in America®: Energy Law – since 2019
- The Arc of Kent County, Board Member (2013-15) and President (2015-19)
- West Michigan Land Conservancy, Board Member (2006-14)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Energy Bar Association: Energy Bar Journal Book Review Editor
- Michigan Chemistry Council: Government Affairs Committee
- State Bar of Michigan: Administrative and Regulatory Law Section; Environmental Law Section – Natural Resources, Energy and Sustainability Committee Vice Chair.
News, Events & Insights
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Environmental Moot Court
The Ohio State University, Ph.D
- National Endowment for the Humanities Dissertation Fellow
University of Colorado, Boulder, M.A.
Hope College, B.A.
- Varnum LLP, Partner
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan