Ms. Akhtar concentrates her practice in the areas of corporate and real estate law. She serves as outside general counsel to companies ranging from start-ups to middle market companies, and handles general corporate matters including asset and real estate-based financing, distribution agreements, consulting agreements, employment agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and corporate governance matters. Ms. Akhtar also represents clients on corporate mergers and acquisitions transactions, and the structuring of new business entities and joint ventures. Ms. Akhtar advises lenders and borrowers on a wide variety of financing transactions, including construction and permanent loans, secured and unsecured credit facilities, the purchase and sale of loans, and the workout of distressed loans.
Ms. Akhtar represents sellers and purchasers in all aspects of real estate acquisitions and dispositions, including office buildings, industrial facilities, shopping centers and residential developments. She serves as counsel for both landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases for office, retail and industrial properties.
Ms. Akhtar is a LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP BD+C), as designated by the U.S. Green Building Council, and maintains a strong professional interest in sustainable development and energy efficiency initiatives.
Ms. Akhtar has earned the Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). She counsels clients on privacy and data terms in commercial contracts, and negotiates data processing agreements.
- Completed an 11 month secondment with PwC’s Privacy and Data Protection Group in the Office of the General Counsel, negotiating data protection agreements with a focus on cross border data transfers.
- Represented a multinational corporation in the acquisition of an online educational platform offering live and on-demand master classes by artists and studios in the entertainment industry, including animation, art direction, and virtual reality.
- Represented a U.S.-based company in the acquisition of a majority stake in an Indian company and its U.S. affiliate providing global outsourced computer aided design services for companies in the construction services industry.
- Represented a privately-held manufacturer and global distributor of high-performance lubricants in its $55 million acquisition by a public corporation.
- Represented a privately-held global distributor of automobile parts in its $60 million acquisition by a public corporation.
- Represented a construction services company in connection with a $15 million leveraged recapitalization and corporate restructuring transaction.
- Represented a client in its acquisition of a portfolio of supermarkets and affiliated real estate for a purchase price of over $10 million.
- Represented a real estate development company in the negotiation and closing of a membership interest purchase agreement, joint venture agreement, financing documents and related agreements in connection with the acquisition of a $55 million housing complex consisting of 31 two-story buildings on a 62-acre site.
- Represented a real estate development company in the negotiation and closing of a joint venture agreement, mezzanine and mortgage financing documents and related agreements in connection with the acquisition of a $60 million residential apartment community consisting of 1,000 units on a 27-acre site.
- Represented a multinational manufacturing company in the drafting and negotiation of a real estate lease covering over 170,000 square feet of industrial, warehouse, and office space.
- Represented a company in the drafting and negotiation of a 65,000 square foot lease consisting of the build-out of Class A office space and laboratory space.
- Represented a manufacturer of consumer products and furniture in the sale of its company in connection with its bankruptcy filing.
- Represented a hotel owner in the sale of its hotel and related real estate.
- Represented franchisees in the acquisitions and dispositions of their businesses and related real estate, corporate and employment issues, including Dunkin’ Donuts, IHOP, Holiday Inn, Arby’s, Dairy Queen, and Haagen Dazs franchisees.
- Represented multiple gas station operators throughout New Jersey in connection with their acquisitions of gas stations from ExxonMobil.
- Represented major real estate developers in the drafting and negotiation of commercial real estate leases on millions of square feet of office, retail and industrial space.
- Represented an engineering company in its acquisition and financing of an $11 million multi-tenanted industrial building.
- Represented a college in a construction loan to finance the conversion of an existing building into a dormitory.
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with the acquisition of real estate approved for the development of an active adult community for a purchase price of $45 million.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Corporate Law practice area (2022)
- Recognized as one of GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum’s “Women of Influence” for her achievements in the national commercial real estate sector (2021)
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) in the Business/Corporate, Real Estate and Banking practice areas (2018 - present)
- Recipient of the Middlesex County Bar Association "Transactional Award" (2020)
- Selected for inclusion in the New Jersey Law Journal’s biannual listing of "Diverse Attorneys of the Year" (2019)
- Listed by Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal as one of its Executive Women in Business (2016)
- Included by the New Jersey Law Journal (a publication of ALM Media Properties, LLC) on its "40 Under 40" list (now "New Leaders of the Bar") (2011)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Editorial Board, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (2011-Present)
- Co-Chair, Middlesex County Bar Association Real Estate Committee (2010-Present)
- Member, U.S. Green Building Council
- Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
News, Events & Insights
New York University School of Law, J.D.
- John J. Galgay Fellowship in Bankruptcy and Reorganization Law; Journal of International Law and Politics, Article & Note Editor
The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S.
Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis, Counsel
Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath, Associate
Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, Associate
Areas of Practice
- New Jersey
- New York