Susan Rogers is a Partner in the firm’s Taxation group. She has three decades of experience in the tax policy and advocacy field, including extensive experience coordinating US and global tax policy issues for a leading Fortune 100 company and several years as Majority Tax Counsel to the U.S. House Ways & Means Committee. She is an expert in the field of tax risk management with broad experience in Washington, D.C., as well as the international tax community, with respect to the tax legislative process and the development of international tax rules.
Ms. Rogers focuses her practice on providing information and strategic advice to clients on US and international tax policy issues and significant state tax issues, covering tax developments in Washington, the European Union, and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Her practice also includes Tax Risk Management services which are designed to provide advice on how to identify issues, develop and implement advocacy strategy, address the internal and external resources necessary to deliver successful results, and provide assurance to a client’s senior management and Board with respect to tax risk management of tax law changes.
She is also a member of the firm’s Restaurant, Wine, Beer and Spirits Practice with experience and expertise in advising clients in the wine industry.
- Keynote speaker at the 2019 Maine Tax Forum. Presentation topic: Washington Tax Legislation Update & US Tax Policy Development in 2020 & Beyond
- Currently co-authors a monthly tax newsletter, titled “Washington Tax Insights” with national distribution
- Currently publishes a monthly international tax newsletter titled “Washington & the World: US & International Tax” with international distribution
- Lead in-house company tax counsel on all US federal corporate and international tax policy issues including both in-bound and out-bound issues covering strategy development through advocacy on the issues before Congress and the Treasury Department
- As Head of US & Global Tax Policy, established and managed internal Global Tax Policy Team which coordinated tax policy issues worldwide for leading Fortune 100 company
- In-house coordinator for company work on the G20/OECD Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) project
- Lead in-house company tax counsel on all US federal energy tax policy issues covering upstream, downstream and excise taxes
- Served as Majority Tax Counsel to the House Ways & Means Committee covering several key tax laws including the Tax Reform Act of 1986 with responsibility for formulating revenue proposals; drafting legislation and Committee reports, briefing the Committee Chairman, other Committee members and the press on legislative proposals, and coordinating Committee hearings
- Company manager for a 4-year successful tax treaty project
- Managed annual in-house company Global Tax Policy meetings as well as internal company training sessions
- Established and directed US tax policy practice at a leading international law firm
Memberships and Affiliations
- Maine State Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Maine Estate Planning Council
- SCORE – Maine Tax Workshops Advisory Board
- Portland Business Network
- WSET Certification (Global Wine & Spirits Education Trust)
- Business of Wine course certification, Napa Valley Wine Academy
News, Events & Insights
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Taxation
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
Vanderbilt University, M.A. (Russian Studies)
University of the South, B.A.
- BP plc, Head of Global Tax Policy
- Baker & McKenzie, Of Counsel
- US House Committee on Ways & Means, Majority Tax Counsel
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- District of Columbia