Steve Kabler is a Partner whose practice focuses on transactional, commercial, intellectual property, and startup matters. He represents both early stage and public companies, providing strategic guidance on launching new businesses, products, and services, advising on business transactions and partnerships, negotiating complex agreements, resolving disputes, and protecting and licensing intellectual property, technology, and brand assets.
Augmenting his broad commercial experience, Mr. Kabler has particular expertise advising clients in the restaurant, winemaking, and craft brewing industries. He also has extensive experience in the digital media, Internet, television, and film industries, focusing on the distribution, acquisition, and production of content.
- Expertise in structuring and negotiating complex commercial agreements and business transactions, including license, product/service distribution, intellectual property, sales, marketing, vendor, lease, technology, software, business acquisition, joint venture, and financing agreements.
- Advise clients on business partner and customer relationships, business formation and growth, intellectual property and brand protection, and dispute resolution.
- Represent clients in the cable and satellite television, Internet, mobile video, video game, and film industries, assisting them in negotiating content distribution, acquisition, and production agreements, launching new networks and distribution platforms, and advising on corporate, regulatory, copyright, and trademark law matters. Clients have included numerous linear and VOD programming networks, multichannel distributors such as Cablevision, production companies, and the Environmental Film Festival.
- Served as General Counsel of the National Geographic Channel during its rapid growth to more than 100 million subscribers, and structured the company’s expansion in Europe, Canada, and Latin America.
- Represent clients in the restaurant, specialty food, winemaking, and craft brewing industries in general commercial, business acquisition/sale, marketing, regulatory, and technology matters, and in managing distributor and supplier relationships.
Publications and Speeches
- Speaker, George Washington Law School Entertainment Law Symposium, March 2017
- Represented the Environmental Film Festival in transactional, intellectual property, and entertainment matters
- KEEN Greater DC Fundraising Committee
Memberships and Affiliations
- Intellectual Property Law Section, D.C. Bar
- Arts, Entertainment, Media and Sports Law Section, D.C. Bar
- Member, Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington
- Member, Virginia Wine Council
News, Events & Insights
Cornell Law School, J.D.
- Cornell International Law Journal, Board of Editors
University of Virginia, B.A., Economics
- Concentration in computer science
- National Geographic Channels International, General Counsel and SVP, Business and Legal Affairs
- XM Satellite Radio, VP, Business Development
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia