David Dargatis is a Partner in the firm’s Corporate group. Mr. Dargatis has a diverse corporate transactional practice with over 20 years of experience at prominent law firms leading complex domestic and international business transactions and matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital investments, classified and unclassified government contracting, defense, intelligence, national security and cybersecurity transactional, structuring and counseling matters. His clients operate in numerous industries and sectors (including information technology, defense and intelligence, government contracting, health and life sciences, and financial services), with a primary focus on private companies and public companies in connection with their private investments and varied other transactions. Mr. Dargatis is also a member of the Intelligence and National Security Alliance’s (INSA) Cyber Council.
Mr. Dargatis’ practice is complemented by his extensive prior business, accounting and finance experience and education. Prior to his legal career, he was a senior accounting analyst for IBM Corporation, where he was responsible for the consolidation, analysis, and regular review with senior management of financial issues and results of various world-wide operations. While at IBM, he earned a M.B.A. in finance and the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) professional designation, and previously earned a B.S. in Accounting.
- Led the representation of an innovative international solar finance business based in the United States and Kenya in connection with all aspects of the structuring, formation, fund raising, negotiation and closing of its $50 million and follow-on $100 million solar financing funds, and related corporate and investment matters.
- Represented a leading government contractor in the technical, engineering, intelligence, and enterprise information technology markets in its $800 million acquisition of preeminent national security firm focused on classified military and intelligence community programs.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in the divestiture of its classified consulting services business to a Fortune 100 defense contractor.
- Served as special consultant in representing a Washington Technology Top 40 Government Contractor and Fortune 1000 Company in connection with classified special programs and cybersecurity structuring, legal and business policy development, risk management and related matters.
- Led a team representing a Euronext Amsterdam-listed and the leading European (and then leading North American) bicycle, parts and accessories company in (1) the establishment of its first US subsidiary and the related negotiation and purchase of a US equipment, parts, and supply company; (2) the purchase and establishment of the company’s initial North American distribution company in a Canadian court-approved insolvency proceedings (with the assistance of Canadian local counsel); (3) the acquisition of a leading US electric bicycle manufacturing and sales company; (4) all US aspects of the acquisition of a UK-based bicycle company, including its prominent US brands and operations; and (5) the restructuring of the company’s US holding company and subsidiaries.
- Represented dual US and European-based venture investment organization of a European exchange-listed multinational healthcare company focused on both pharmaceuticals and diagnostics, and among world’s largest biotech companies, in numerous strategic partnering, licensing and investment transactions.
- Led a multi-practice team representing a DFI spin-off and global impact investing organization in structuring and closing a ground-breaking $48 million hybrid equity and debt-funded private investment fund formed to assist businesses servicing low income communities in emerging markets.
- Led the representation of a strategic enterprise consulting and IT management services government contractor focused on supporting the intelligence community and Department of Defense customers, in its acquisition of another government contractor which provides unique technological solutions to a complimentary customer.
- Led the representation of an enterprise software company in connection with its US$37 million private investment from a prominent venture capital firm, in which all funds raised were used to provide liquidity to existing investors and option holders.
- Led the representation of a NYSE-listed company serving the national security market in the disposition of a part of its air traffic management and operations subsidiary to a Fortune 500, NYSE-listed high-technology engineering and manufacturing company.
- Provide sole representation of leading global biotech company in connection with scores of corporate venture capital investments and related matters.
- Represented a privately held healthcare information technology and data analytics solutions provider in a complex multiparty exit sale to a multibillion dollar publicly listed managed health insurance and healthcare provider.
- Represented a publicly traded private equity firm and global asset manager in its acquisition of a leading provider of sales, installation, maintenance and repair of residential and commercial heating and cooling systems.
- Represented a European exchange-listed international financial services company in the complex restructuring of its US financial services subsidiary and the related sale of a majority stake in that US subsidiary to another European exchange-listed international financial services company.
- Represented Fortune 500 company throughout the bidding, structuring, negotiation, and successful sale of its $1 billion international port terminal, logistics, and related businesses to a non-US acquirer.
Publications and Speeches
- PII Training Required for Government Contractors, Effective Jan. 19, McGuireWoods Legal Insights, January 18, 2017
- New Rules for Cleared Contractors Starting Nov. 30, McGuireWoods Legal Insights, November 29, 2016
- Intellectual Property in Government Contracts – Landmines Abound, McGuireWoods Legal Insights, February 10, 2016
- Note, Put Down That Drink! The Double Jeopardy Drunk Driving Defense is Not Going to Save You, 81 Iowa L. Rev. 775, 1996
- Pro bono outside counsel, Northern Virginia Family Service, Oakton, Virginia
- President/Vice-President & Director, Tysons Terrace Homeowners Association, Vienna, Virginia, 2002-2013
Memberships and Affiliations
- Intelligence and National Security Alliance (INSA), Cyber Council, Arlington, Virginia
- Security Clearance: information provided upon request
News, Events & Insights
The University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with High Distinction, 1997
- Iowa Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
- Faculty Scholar Award
- Best Brief, Van Oosterhout Moot Court Competition
Fordham University Gabelli School of Business, M.B.A., Finance, 1992
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Phi Kappa Phi
The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., Accounting, 1988
- McGuireWoods LLP, Senior Counsel
- Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP, Counsel
- District of Columbia