Ruth Morrel is a broadly skilled corporate Counsel with significant experience in federal and commercial transactions, compliance, risk management, information technology, international law, and dispute resolution. Her expertise is in creative problem solving and protecting business interests by managing risk and ensuring contractual integrity in pursuit of organizational business goals.
Ms. Morrel is experienced in every aspect of federal and commercial contracting, R&D grants and other transactions, from drafting and negotiating agreements to resolving performance disputes and litigating bid protests. She also has significant expertise in developing federal and commercial compliance programs. Ms. Morrel has conducted and resolved federal and internal investigations of employee wrongdoing, both locally and remotely, including allegations of false claims, illegal drug use, prostitution rings, harassment, and kickbacks. During her career, Ms. Morrel has participated in approximately 25 successful M&A transactions involving commercial aviation, defense, network management, IT, and energy companies.
Ms. Morrel began her legal career in government service, as a procurement attorney, before transitioning to an in-house position where she worked her way up from staff attorney to senior Vice President & General Counsel of a $2 billion federal services company with responsibility for the company’s legal, contractual and compliance affairs.
Government and Commercial Contracts
- Implemented procedure for assessing risk associated with business transactions to ensure protection of company via adequate insurance coverage and contractual limitations of liability
- Regularly prepare and negotiate subcontracts, teaming, marketing, confidentiality, employment, novation, termination, settlement, license, grants and other transaction agreements
- Counseled defense contractor on foreign ownership, control, and influence regulations, security clearances and export control laws triggered by foreign investor
- Negotiated subcontract and EULA for provider of status tracking and situational awareness systems
- Prepared and negotiated subgrants with educational institutions and nonprofit entities for R&D project
- Provided legal and contractual support in connection with Homeland Security TSA federal contracts and subcontracts for airport security services
- Established compliance program for healthcare joint venture of two Fortune 100 companies; drafted standards of conduct and policies; provided guidance on processes and compliance
- Implemented Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) due diligence protocol for strategic partners, agents and marketing representatives
- Developed contract clauses for FCPA compliance and online training for far-flung employees
- Advise clients with international operations regarding compliance with US and foreign laws, export control, foreign registration and agency requirements, labor laws, criminal penalties and foreign procurement laws
- Counseled clients on compliance with Wage Hour Laws (Fair Labor Standards Act, Service Contract Act & Davis Bacon Act); managed DOL investigations and government and third party litigation; oversight of EEO and affirmative action compliance activities
- Drafted A Practical Guide to Doing Business with the U.S. Government for large IT company
- Represented company in FBI and DOJ investigation of former employee for improper activities in Iraq – matter closed without adverse publicity or penalty to company
- Managed response to Grand Jury subpoena regarding allegations of false subcontractor billing in Qatar and Oman and successfully resolved investigation without impact to client
- Conducted distance investigations of improper billing practices and bribery in the Middle East, trafficking in Bosnia and Oman, and sexual harassment in Afghanistan
- Investigated, managed and resolved claims of wage hour law violations, employment discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination
- Director, Bethesda Help, Inc., senior executive in charge of all-volunteer nonprofit organization that provides safety net support – food and emergency rent/mortgage, utilities and prescription assistance – to community residents, 2015-present
- Governance Committee, Charles E. Smith Life Communities, 2007-2009
- Member, Criminal Justice Coordinating Commission, Montgomery County, 2007-8
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
Villanova University, M.A.
Temple University, B.A.
- DynCorp International LLC, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
- Computer Sciences Corporation, Assistant General Counsel, Federal Business & Litigation
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia