Ruth Morrel is a broadly skilled corporate generalist with significant expertise in federal and commercial transactions and compliance. Her focus is on creative problem solving and protecting business interests by managing risk and ensuring contractual integrity in pursuit of organizational business goals.
Ms. Morrel regularly counsels clients on legal strategies relating to domestic and international business opportunities, including formation of teaming and marketing arrangements, joint ventures and strategic alliances, employment relations, dispute resolution, protection of intellectual property, and management of risk. She has significant experience in developing and overseeing compliance programs, including preparing codes of conduct and policies, establishing hotlines, and resolving federal and internal investigations of employee wrongdoing, both locally and remotely. In addition, Ms. Morrel has participated in legal and contractual due diligence and agreement negotiation for approximately 25 successful M&A transactions involving commercial aviation, defense, network management, IT, and energy companies.
Ms. Morrel began her legal career in government service as a procurement attorney before transitioning to an in-house position where she worked her way up from staff attorney to Senior Vice President & General Counsel of a $2 billion federal services company with responsibility for the company’s legal, contractual and compliance affairs.
Government and Commercial Contracts
- Negotiated agreement with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority to provide COVID-19 convalescent plasma to hospitals for research efforts
- Successfully defended award of $145 Million FAA Software Solution Delivery Support Services Contract in four separate FAA protests and Federal Court of Appeals
- Developed successful strategy resulting in withdrawal of protest against $80 million single Agile development award to client in FEMA's Grants Management Modernization Program
- Successfully represented small business against DHS ICE's award of sole source federal contract to large business resulting in corrective action by agency and determination to conduct competitive procurement
- Defended federal contract awardee against small business size challenges without delay of contract performance
- Advised and represented client in negotiations with Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency and foreign owned investment firm regarding continuation of security clearances, Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence and CFIUS mitigation requirements in merger with foreign owned investment firm
- Represented client in strategic acquisition and handled novation of federal contract
- Reviewed and negotiated mentor-protégé agreements and joint ventures on behalf of large business clients with 8(a) firms
- Prepared and negotiated subcontracts, subgrants, technology investment agreements and Other Transactions and provided advice regarding protection of proprietary intellectual property for federal R&D projects
- Assist companies with federal procurement registration on SAM.gov, identification of proper NAICS codes, completion of required representations and mandatory subcontract flowdowns
- Negotiated subcontract and EULA for provider of status tracking and situational awareness systems
- Investigated allegations of non-compliance with export laws, prepared voluntary disclosures, and provided support for international trade compliance efforts of Fortune 50 company
- Provided legal and contractual support in connection with Homeland Security TSA federal contracts and subcontracts for airport security services
- Advise clients regarding size status and defend against size challenges
Established compliance program for healthcare joint venture of two Fortune 100 companies; drafted standards of conduct and policies; provided guidance on processes and compliance
Advise clients with international operations regarding compliance with US and foreign laws, export control, foreign registration and agency requirements, labor laws, criminal penalties and foreign procurement laws
Counseled clients on compliance with Wage Hour Laws (Fair Labor Standards Act, Service Contract Act & Davis Bacon Act); managed DOL investigations and government and third party litigation; oversight of EEO and affirmative action compliance activities
Drafted A Practical Guide to Doing Business with the U.S. Government for large IT company
Prepared testimony and advised client appearing in Congressional hearings relating to international private security firms
Represented company in FBI and DOJ investigation of former employee for improper activities in Iraq – matter closed without adverse publicity or penalty to company
Managed response to Grand Jury subpoena regarding allegations of false subcontractor billing in Qatar and Oman and successfully resolved investigation without impact to client
Conducted distance investigations of improper billing practices and bribery in the Middle East, trafficking in Bosnia and Oman, and sexual harassment in Afghanistan
Investigated, managed and resolved claims of wage hour law violations, employment discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination
- Director, Bethesda Help, Inc., senior executive in charge of all-volunteer nonprofit organization that provides safety net support – food and emergency rent/mortgage, utilities and prescription assistance – to community residents, 2015-2017
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
Villanova University, M.A.
Temple University, B.A.
- DynCorp International LLC, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
- Computer Sciences Corporation, Assistant General Counsel, Federal Business & Litigation
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia