Marlene Laro is a Partner and Chief Operating Officer of the firm. As the COO, Ms. Laro guides the firm’s strategy and growth, working to develop and support every aspect of the rapidly growing business. Ms. Laro is also a member of the firm’s Tax practice, advising companies on international and domestic restructurings and transactions, as well as providing clients with more general tax planning. Ms. Laro has worked with a broad range of clients, including international organizations, multinational and domestic corporations, educational institutions, LLCs, and high-net worth individuals. Ms. Laro possesses international expertise, having taught comparative tax law and provided technical assistance to foreign states on tax matters.
- Advised multinational corporations and high net-worth individuals on international tax planning, including issues regarding subpart F, PFIC, tax treaties, and foreign tax credits.
- Advised on domestic tax issues, including corporate transactions, structuring of tax-free and taxable transactions, LLCs and nonprofit corporations
- Counseled clients on tax litigation and tax controversy matters.
- Served as legal consultant to international organizations on tax policy and legal reform, including the International Monetary Fund, International Tax and Investment Center, AECOM International Development, and American Society of International Law.
- Drafted amendments to the corporate tax laws of CIS countries, and provided technical assistance to the Governments of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and Georgia.
Publications and Speeches
- “Challenging the Law Firm Monopoly: New Entrants in the Market for Legal Services,” Thomson Reuters 13th Annual Law Firm COO & CFO Forum, NY, NY (October 2014).
- “Game Changers, Trends and Prophecies: Envisioning the Client of the Future,” Thomson Reuters/NYC Bar Association Conference, NY, NY (June 2014).
- “Beyond Big Law: A New Model Option for Entrepreneurial Lawyers,” Harvard Law School, Program on the Legal Profession (November 2013).
- International Tax and Investment Center, Lecturer and Program Adviser
News, Events & Insights
New York University, School of Law, J.D.
New York University, School of Law, LL.M. (Taxation)
Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service, B.S.F.S.
- cum laude
- Ivins, Phillips & Barker, Associate
- Dewey Ballantine LLP, Associate
- International Monetary Fund, Legal Consultant
- Georgetown University Law Center, Adjunct Professor