Larry Schroepfer is a Partner with more than thirty years of legal and business experience, of which twenty years have been devoted to licensing and technology transactions. His practice focuses on analyzing, structuring, negotiating and closing a wide range of technology transactions, including technology and IP licensing; technology transfer, University-to-Industry licensing and other early stage licensing and technology transfer transactions; technology development, joint development and co-development; technology collaborations, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures, strategic alliances, and private equity transactions; information technology and software license agreements, development agreements, OEM agreements, and cloud computing/SaaS agreements, and other technology and intellectual property related agreements.
Mr. Schroepfer represents companies in all technology sectors (including life sciences, information technology and physical sciences) and in all major and developing countries of the world. While in-house with a Fortune-250 electronics company, he managed all licensing and other technology and intellectual property transactions on a global basis for a company with a portfolio exceeding 15,000 patents and pending patent applications worldwide.
- Successfully concluded hundreds of licensing and technology transactions with companies in all major markets in the world, including the European Union, the Asia-Pacific region, and several developing countries.
- Extensive experience in wireless telecommunications industry transactions, including both technology and patent transactions
- Negotiated and concluded recent licensing and technology transfer agreements involving companies in the Peoples Republic of China.
- Served as expert witness on licensing issues arising in intellectual property litigation.
- Key member of company’s Ventures Team involved with leveraging technology through company creation and incubation, equity investment, equity-based licensing, and other venturing activities.
- Worked with several major US and Canadian Universities and nonprofit research institutions to commercialize their technology through various University-to-Industry technology transfer vehicles.
Publications and Speeches
- Panelist, “Corporate and Government Collaboration, How to Make it a Win-Win” Licensing Executives Society Annual Meeting, October, 2015
- Presentation, “Licensing Best Practices” MAPI Intellectual Property Law Forum, March, 2015
- Webinar, “What the In-House Generalist Needs to Know About Licensing” Clear Law Institute, January, 2015
- Presentation, “Thorny Issues in Knowhow/Technology Transfer Licensing” Licensing Executives Society New Jersey Chapter, June, 2011 Licensing Executives Society Philadelphia Chapter, October, 2010
- Panelist, “Mistakes Made & Lessons Learned in 100 Years of Licensing” Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association, September, 2010
- Presentation, “Anatomy of a License” PBI Intellectual Property Institute, April, 2010
- Presentation, “IP Considerations in Technology Transfer Licensing” AIPLA On-line Seminar, Spring, 2008
AIPLA Mid-Winter Meeting, January, 2007
- Workshop, “The Two Toughest Issues: Improvements & Unlicensed Infringers” Licensing Executives Society Annual Meeting, Fall, 2004
- Presentation, “How to Survive the University-to-Industry Early Stage Technology Licensing Process”
- Licensing Executives Society Annual Meeting, Fall, 2004
- Workshop, “The IP Holding Company: A Self-Funding IP Machine” Licensing Executives Society Annual Meeting, Fall, 2001
- Presentation, “Establishing a Successful Licensing Organization” American Intellectual Property Law Association Conference, 1999
Memberships and Affiliations
- Licensing Executives Society, Certified Licensing Professional (CLP)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association (PIPLA)
- Benjamin Franklin American Inn of Court
News, Events & Insights
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1978
- cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Wisconsin Law Review
St. John’s University, B.A., 1975
- magna cum laude
- National Merit Scholar
- InterDigital Communications, LLC, Senior Director, Patent Licensing, Associate General Counsel, Technology Business Development
- BTG International, Inc., Vice President, Intellectual Property Transactions
- AMP Incorporated, Director of Licensing
Areas of Practice