John Scanlon is Counsel in the firm’s Corporate and Media, Entertainment, and Communications practices. With a focus on private equity and debt financing, commercial contracts and strategic corporate events, including mergers, acquisitions, and partnerships, Mr. Scanlon has significant experience as an external and in-house legal advisor to clients ranging from individuals to major multinational companies across a wide range of industries, including finance, technology and media. Mr. Scanlon’s media practice includes representing film and television production companies, talent, and writers on intellectual property, financing, production and distribution related matters.
- Lead counsel representing Pedestal Inc. in $45 million equity offering to Deutsche Bank, Reuters and Battery Ventures.
- Member of legal team representing leading international banking, financial services and insurance conglomerate in its U.S. initial public offering and listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented nation’s second largest radio broadcaster in $750 million senior debt offering.
- Advised on transnational merger of UK and Norwegian pharmaceutical companies prior to purchase of combined entity by GE.
- Founding general counsel of several Washington D.C. area startups.
- Executive producer of three independent film projects and legal counsel on over 40 independent film and television projects
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Entertainment & Sports Industries Forum
- Wedgwood Circle Deal Review Committee
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1992
- cum laude
- Georgetown Law Journal, Associate Editor
University of California, Davis, B.A., 1987
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Davis Polk & Wardwell
- Latham & Watkins
- Federal City Bancorp, General Counsel
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia