Isaac Mamaysky is a Partner who provides strategic business, employment law, and compliance guidance to management teams, in-house attorneys, and human resources professionals across industries. His clients range from multinational corporations and large educational institutions to national nonprofits and privately held companies.
Mr. Mamaysky regularly advises clients on corporate ethics and compliance matters, conducts internal investigations, writes and assesses internal employment policies and employee handbooks, leads complex negotiations, drafts commercial contracts, and helps clients comply with various regulatory regimes. Well-versed in crisis management and crisis communication, Mr. Mamaysky also supports senior managers and often coordinates attorney teams when clients face litigation and other unexpected and multidisciplinary legal challenges.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Mamaysky teaches in Albany Law School’s Human Resources: Law, Leadership, and Policy Program, where his classes focus on the intersection of employment law, ethics and compliance, and human resources. He has published and been quoted in dozens of articles on these topics, including in Fortune Magazine, Yahoo Finance, Lexis Nexis’ Law360, the Society for Human Resource Management, and other publications. Mr. Mamaysky also wrote the book Letter to a One L Friend (Carolina Academic Press, 2019), which helps students navigate the challenges of law school.
Beyond law, Mr. Mamaysky has spent much of the past decade managing a large 501(c)(3) nonprofit, which he and his wife cofounded. With extensive experience in organizational leadership, financial modeling, and strategic planning, Mr. Mamaysky approaches his clients’ legal matters with a business mindset. For this reason, he especially enjoys serving as outside general counsel to leadership teams, bringing together his management background and legal experience to help clients achieve their organizational goals.
Mr. Mamaysky began his career in the commercial litigation practice of a global law firm which has since merged with Morgan Lewis LLP.
- Advise clients on ethics and compliance matters, and help employers assess legal, ethical, and employee relations considerations to address human resources challenges thoroughly and compassionately.
- Oversee internal investigations of human resources issues, ethics and business conduct concerns, and employment law matters. Draft investigation reports and advise human resources professionals and management teams on implementing appropriate resolutions.
- Draft and review employment agreements, employee handbooks, and various internal employment policies, and advise clients on compliance with federal and state employment laws. Design and implement anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies and related corporate trainings.
- Advise clients regarding compliance with various state regulatory regimes, and represent clients before regulatory bodies to help achieve desired outcomes.
- Lead negotiations of various complex commercial relationships between businesses, strategically posture clients to achieve organizational objectives and successfully resolve contested questions, and draft agreements to memorialize those relationships.
- Assist clients in resolving disputes before reaching the point of litigation, lead settlement discussions, and draft settlement agreements. When settlement is not possible, advise on a range of litigation matters and work hand-in-hand with litigation counsel to achieve the best possible outcome.
Publications and Speeches
- Letter to a One L Friend: A Little Guide to Seeing the Big Picture and Succeeding in Law School, Carolina Academic Press (2019).
o Featured in Making the One L Path (a Little) Easier by Joel Brown, Bostonia (2019).
o Reviewed in the Canadian Law Library Review by Katie Cuyler (2020).
To read Isaac’s articles, please visit SSRN.
- Understanding Ethics and Compliance: A Practitioner’s Guide to Effective Corporate Compliance Programs, Journal of Regulatory Compliance (2021)
The Future of Work: Exploring the Post-Pandemic Workplace from an Employment Law and Human Resources Perspective, UC Davis Business Law Journal (2021)
Can Employers Mandate the COVID Vaccine: Assessing the Implications of the Emergency Use Authorization, Mitchell Hamline Law Review Amicus Curiae (2021)
Rehiring Furloughed and Laid Off Workers Post-Pandemic, Law 360, Expert Analysis, with Wendy Fischman (2020).
What Initial Reopenings Teach Us About Virus Safety Plans, Law 360, Expert Analysis (2020).
Employer Takeaways from EEOC Virus Screening Guidance, Law 360, Expert Analysis (2020).
Role for COVID-19 Liability Waivers in Employment is Limited, Law 360, Expert Analysis, with Mark Papadopoulos (2020).
Furloughs: Weighing the Unemployment Costs and Benefits, Law 360, Expert Analysis (2020).
Key Policies for Minors on University Campuses, University Business Magazine, with Catherine Guttman-McCabe (2020).
Paid Leave: The Intersection of New York and Federal Laws, Westchester County Bar Association (2020).
New York's Paid Leave Law in Response to COVID-19, Westchester County Bar Association (2020).
Ask the EEOC: Key Takeaways for Employers from the March 27th Webinar, Westchester County Bar Association (2020).
Supreme Court Decides Whether to Protect Transgender Staff, Camp Business Magazine (2020).
The FTC Has Its Sights on COPPA, and Edtech Providers Should Take Notice, EdSurge (2019).
Some Employers Have Illegally Fired Workers Who Refuse to Sign COVID Liability Waivers, Fortune Magazine (2020)
10 Tips for Protecting Workers During the Coronavirus Pandemic, Society for Human Resource Management (2020).
Weathering Coronavirus: Furloughs, Layoffs, or Pay Cuts? Society for Human Resource Management (2020).
Some Employers Forgo FMLA Certifications During COVID-19 Pandemic, Society for Human Resource Management (2020).
What to Do When Scared Workers Don't Report to Work Due to COVID-19, Society for Human Resource Management (2020).
Recall Furloughed Workers Lawfully, Society for Human Resource Management (2020).
Temperature Screenings: Review State Laws, Society for Human Resource Management (2020).
Guide to Re-Onboarding: Best Practices for Bringing Your People Back from Furlough, Glassdoor for Employers (2020).
Recalling Furloughed Staff: Two Common Legal Risks, Gartner, Legal and Compliance Research Team (2020).
Representative University Lectures
The Post-Pandemic Workplace: An HR and Employment Law Perspective, Albany Law School, HR in Practice Speaker Series (2021).
Issues in Employment Law and COVID-19, New York Law School, Center for Business and Financial Law Speaker Series (2021).
Legal Practice and the Law School Experience, University of Connecticut (2020).
Risk Mitigation in Youth-Serving Organizations, Clemson University (2020).
The Value of a Humanities Degree to Corporate Careers, University of Rhode Island, Humanities Festival (2013).
- Rehiring from Layoffs and Furloughs: Who to Bring Back and How? Federal Bar Association, with Wendy Fischman (2020).
- Reopening, and Staying Open, During the Pandemic: Creating a COVID Safety Plan, LawLine (2020).
- Reopening Workplaces During COVID: Rehiring Staff and Mitigating Risk through Health Screenings and Liability Waivers, LawLine, with Wendy Fischman (2020).
- Employer and School Liability for Reopening During COVID-19, Rossdale CLE, with a panel (2020).
Representative Industry Presentations
- COVID-19 Reopening Best Practices: Manual vs. Automated Temperature Checks, Intraedge/Truyo, with Janalyn Schreiber (2020).
- (un)Employment Law in the COVID-19 Era, Nonprofit Montgomery, with Wendy Fischman (2020).
- What Executive Leadership and HR Professionals Need to Know, Potomac Law Group Client Webinar, with Catherine Guttman-McCabe, Mark Papadopoulos, and Wendy Fischman (2020).
- Key Legal Trends Impacting Management Teams, ACA Tristate Conference, with Alan Cooper (2020).
Memberships and Affiliations
Society for Human Resource Management, National and New York City Chapter
Employment Law Committee, Westchester County Bar Association.
News, Events & Insights
Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- cum laude
- Paul J. Liacos Distinguished Scholar
- Edward F. Hennessey Scholar
- Member of the International Law Journal
University of Rhode Island, Honors Program, B.A. in Philosophy
- summa cum laude
- Reslow-Bannon Award for Embodying the Spirit of the Honors Program
- Bingham McCutchen LLP (now Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP)
Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York