Isaac Mamaysky is a Partner who provides insightful, strategic business advice to management teams and in-house attorneys across a variety of industries. His clients range from multinational corporations and large educational institutions to national nonprofits and privately-held companies. Mr. Mamaysky advises clients in matters related to employment law, regulatory compliance, education law, high stakes negotiations, dispute resolution, and litigation. Mr. Mamaysky is also well-versed in crisis management and crisis communication, and he supports leadership teams when they face complex, unexpected challenges.
Mr. Mamaysky has overseen numerous internal investigations, written and assessed employment agreements, managed sensitive employee separations, assisted with international hiring and visa needs, drafted and reviewed employee handbooks, ensured compliance with state and federal regulations, composed corporate bylaws, advised governing boards, overseen litigations, led a variety of negotiations, and advised on mandatory reporting obligations. He also regularly conducts corporate trainings on preventing sexual harassment, managing institutional risk, and related topics.
In addition to his legal background, Mr. Mamaysky has nearly a decade of business experience running a large tax-exempt corporation. With a deep understanding of management, organizational leadership, financial modeling, and strategic planning, Mr. Mamaysky approaches his clients’ legal matters with a business mindset. For this reason, Mr. Mamaysky especially enjoys serving as outside general counsel to management teams, bringing together his business background and legal insights to help them achieve their organizational goals.
- Oversaw numerous internal investigations regarding employment issues, such as harassment and discrimination allegations, drafted investigation reports, and supported management teams in implementing appropriate resolutions.
- Drafted and reviewed employment agreements, employee handbooks, and various internal employment policies, and advised management teams on compliance with federal and state employment laws.
- Designed and implemented anti-harassment policies and related corporate trainings, analyzed and ensured compliance with mandatory reporting obligations, and supported management teams in resolving related challenges.
- Advised on many aspects of international staffing, including the obligations of international visa sponsors, the application process to become a sponsor, using international volunteers, and related matters.
- Advised management teams regarding compliance with various state regulations and developed strategic approaches to relationships with regulatory bodies to achieve desired outcomes.
- Reviewed and drafted various corporate governance documents, including incorporation documents, by-laws, conflict of interest policies, and 501(c)(3) applications.
- Reviewed and drafted university policies to ensure compliance with industry best practices and state regulations.
- Experienced in a variety of litigation matters, including multi-district, multi-party commercial litigations, smaller state court matters, and assisting clients in overseeing third party insurance-provided litigation counsel in covered matters.
Publications and Speeches
- (Book) Letter to a One L Friend: A Little Guide to Seeing the Big Picture and Succeeding in Law School, Carolina Academic Press (2019)
- Featured in Making the One L Path (a Little) Easier, Joel Brown, Bostonia (2019)
- Employer Takeaways from EEOC Virus Screening Guidance, Law 360, Expert Analysis (2020)
- Temporary Payroll Cuts in a Downturn: Furlough and Other Strategies, Potomac Law Group Client Alert (2020)
- Quoted in Some Employers Forgo FMLA Certifications During COVID-19 Pandemic, Society for Human Resource Management (2020)
- FFCRA and Paid Leave: State and Federal Law, with Alan Cooper, AM Skier Newsletter (2020)
- Coronavirus Paid Leave: The Intersection of New York and Federal Laws, Westchester County Bar Association (2020)
- Summary of S8091: New York's Paid Leave Law in Response to COVID-19, Westchester County Bar Association (2020)
- Quoted in 10 Tips for Protecting Workers During the Coronavirus Pandemic, Society for Human Resource Management (2020)
- Quoted in Weathering Coronavirus: Furloughs, Layoffs, or Pay Cuts? Society for Human Resource Management (2020)
- Key Policies for Minors on University Campuses, with Catherine Guttman-McCabe, University Business Magazine (2020)
- Are We Obligated to Give Refunds? The Impossibility Doctrine and Business Considerations, Regpack Blog (2020)
- Ask the EEOC: Key Takeaways for Employers from the March 27th Webinar, Westchester County Bar Association (2020)
- Rehiring Furloughed and Laid Off Workers Post-Pandemic, with Wendy Fischman, Law 360, Expert Analysis (2020)
- Quoted in What to Do When Scared Workers Don't Report to Work Due to COVID-19, Society for Human Resource Management (2020)
- Quoted in Recalling Furloughed Staff: Two Common Legal Risks, Gartner, Legal and Compliance Research Team (2020)
- Supreme Court Decides Whether to Protect Transgender Staff, Camp Business Magazine (forthcoming)
- COPPA Goes to Camp, with Alan Cooper, AM Skier Newsletter (2019)
- The FTC Has Its Sights on COPPA, and Edtech Providers Should Take Notice, EdSurge (2019)
Representative Lectures and Presentations
- City University of New York, Adjunct Lecturer: Multiple semesters teaching an undergraduate philosophy course on critical thinking and logical reasoning.
- University of Rhode Island Honors Program, Humanities Symposium: Invited to speak to students and faculty regarding the value of a humanities degree to business careers.
- University of Connecticut, Guest Speaker: Invited to speak to aspiring law students regarding all aspects of legal practice, the law school experience, and related topics.
- Business Incubator Program: Invited to speak to recently-accepted members of a multimillion dollar business incubator about managing organizational growth from the start-up phase through organizational maturity.
- FJC Leaders Assembly: Selected to speak regarding essential legal considerations to reduce organizational exposure.
- ACA Tristate Conference: Selected to lead a roundtable discussion regarding key legal trends impacting management teams, with a particular focus on employment law, the law surrounding minors on campus, and related matters.
- ACA New England Conference: Selected to speak in three sessions covering employment law, risk mitigation, online privacy, and related matters.
- Nonprofit Montgomery: Delivered a presentation called (un)Employment Law in the COVID-19 Era with Wendy Fischman
- Potomac Law Group, Client Webinar: Delivered a presentation called What Executive Leadership and HR Professionals Need to Know with Catherine Guttman-McCabe, Mark Papadopoulos, and Wendy Fischman
- Co-Presenter, Rehiring from Layoffs and Furloughs, Who to Bring Back and How? Critical Return-to-Work Issues Including Health Screenings and Waivers of Liability, Federal Bar Association and MyLawCLE, with Wendy Fischman, May 13, 2020
Memberships and Affiliations
- Society for Human Resource Management, National and New York City Chapter
- Employment Law Committee, Westchester County Bar Association.
- Higher Education Protection Network (organization works to safeguard minors on university campuses).
News, Events & Insights
Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- cum laude
- Paul J. Liacos Distinguished Scholar
- Edward F. Hennessey Scholar
- Member of the International Law Journal
University of Rhode Island, Honors Program, B.A. in Philosophy, 2005
- summa cum laude
- Recipient of the Reslow-Bannon Award for Embodying the Spirit of the Honors Program
- Bingham McCutchen LLP (now Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP)
Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York