Carla Garrett is a Partner in the firm’s Corporate group. Ms. Garrett has over twenty years of experience working with corporate, private equity, securities, acquisitions and contract law matters. Ms. Garrett has advised on a range of corporate transactions, including representing buyers and sellers in acquisitions, and representing issuers in financing transactions. As the first general counsel of a publicly-traded, technology company, Ms. Garrett was responsible for all legal matters of the company, including SEC compliance, corporate governance, acquisitions, and intellectual property matters. In addition, Ms. Garrett serves as outside general counsel to a number of businesses, with a particular focus on startup and technology companies.
- Represent purchasers and sellers in numerous acquisitions of public and private companies.
- Represent issuers in angel financings and venture capital equity and debt transactions.
- Served as General Counsel for CoStar Group, Inc., a publicly-traded company, during its rapid growth, with emphasis on domestic and international acquisitions, securities law compliance, corporate governance and intellectual property protection.
- Advise companies with securities law compliance, including SEC periodic reports, proxy statements, SEC disclosure, corporate governance and compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd Frank rules.
- Routinely advise start-up and early stage businesses on entity formation, founders and shareholders agreements, and venture capital investments.
- Represent individuals and companies in employment negotiations, at the executive level and in connection with acquisitions.
- Expertise in structuring and negotiating complex commercial agreements and business transactions, including license, intellectual property, sales, marketing, vendor, software, and financing agreements.
Publications and Speeches
- Panelist for SEC’s Government-Business Forum on Small Business Capital Formation, August 2019
- Co-author, Lawyers Guide to Formulas in Deal Documents and SEC Filings, 2008
- Speaker, “Law Department Alignment with Company Goals,” Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, 2004
- Board Member: A-SPAN: Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network, July 2018 – Present
- Escuela Key Immersion Elementary School PTA, Arlington, VA, President, Vice President, School Plan Advisory Committee, Character Education Committee, 2008 – 2013
- Volunteer: Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network, Homeless Bagged Meal Program, 2009 – Present
- Leader and Organizer for Stanford Alumni Day of Service in Arlington, VA, May 2012
- Pro Bono representation of low-income housing cooperative in Washington, DC, 2011 – 2015
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chair of the SEC’s Small Business Capital Formation Advisory Committee, May 2019 – present
- NASDAQ Stock Market, Listing Qualifications Panel Member, 2005 – 2015, 2019 – present
News, Events & Insights
Stanford Law School, J.D., with Distinction, 1994
- Stanford Law Review, Notes Editor
Vanderbilt University, B.A., Mathematics, 1990
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- CoStar Group, Inc., General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
- Sullivan & Cromwell, LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, PC
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia