Susan M. Sajadi is a Partner in the Litigation and Government Investigations practice. She has broad experience litigating general commercial and complex civil litigation matters in federal and appellate courts and handles all aspects of litigation, from initial investigation through settlement or trial.
Ms. Sajadi has advised an extensive array of clients, from Fortune 100 companies to government whistleblowers. She has represented clients in business related injuries in a variety of areas, including fraud, misappropriation of trade secrets, conspiracy, unfair business practices, products liability, environmental torts and the False Claims Act, resulting in favorable settlements on behalf of individuals and corporations. A seasoned advocate, Ms. Sajadi is known for her ability to distill complex legal concepts for her clients, her attention to detail, and her courtroom advocacy skills.
Ms. Sajadi began her career at Sidley Austin LLP in New York, where she represented pharmaceutical companies and hedge funds in multi-district litigations and SEC investigations. Most recently, Ms. Sajadi was a Partner at a leading Washington D.C.-based leading litigation boutique.
- Represented plaintiffs in False Claims Act case against a defense contractor operating in Afghanistan, resulting in a favorable settlement
- Represented plaintiffs in first case in history in which a jury found that one of FEMA’s insurance companies intentionally defrauded the federal government (appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court and affirmed 8-0 in favor of plaintiffs)
- Represented major U.S. tire manufacturer in judgment enforcement action against Chinese company arising out of firm’s successful trial verdict (the largest in Virginia in 2010), resulting in payment of judgment
- Represented pharmaceutical company in multi-district False Claims Act case, resulting in settlement
- Advised Fortune 100 company in internal investigation of products liability claim
- Represented major U.S. tire manufacturer in conspiracy and business infringements claims against Chinese corporation
- Represented business and homeowners in 1,100 mediations in FEMA’s Hurricane Sandy review process
- Represented plaintiffs in high profile cases against defense contractors in Iraq, including Iraqi torture victims in Abu Ghraib prison scandal and Iraqi victims of Nisoor Square shootings, resulting in favorable settlements
- Represented U.S. soldiers who were sexually assaulted against Department of Defense, culminating in Congressional efforts to alter reporting structures; representation included several successful administrative hearings resulting in reversals in soldiers’ discharge status
- Represented hundreds of U.S. soldiers against defense contractor in multidistrict toxic burn pit litigation, resulting in expansion of VA benefits
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Successfully represented Haitian and Afghan political asylum refugees
- Represented indigent clients in cases under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act
News, Events & Insights
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, B.S.
- cum laude, honors in major
- Weisbrod Matteis & Copley PLLC, Partner
- Sidley Austin
Areas of Practice
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern Division of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern Division of New York