Lisa Poole is a Partner in the firm’s Tax Practice group. She has over 30 years of experience advising clients on a wide range of tax matters involving business transactions, M&A tax structures, international tax, corporate tax and partnership tax issues and IRS audits. She has led private tax-structured cross-border transactions for financial institutions, often involving more than $1 billion. She has experience handling tax controversies and advising clients on domestic and international tax planning and compliance.
Earlier in her career, Ms. Poole was Director and General Tax Counsel for a Fortune 100 multinational company where she was responsible for worldwide tax planning and risk assessment of tax positions taken with respect to transactions, reporting positions and tax accounting.
In addition to her tax practice, Ms. Poole has experience in a variety of philanthropic matters, including serving as Director and Treasurer of Nollywood Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing Nigerian and other African film and culture to the United States. She is advisor to, or a board member of, a variety of nonprofits, many of which she helped to establish.
- Led a $2 billion tax restructuring of a European holding company structure involving eight tax jurisdictions
- Developed structure for direct investment in India which minimized Indian tax risk
- Developed legal and factual arguments in connection with an excise tax controversy at IRS Appeals level, resulting in the IRS dropping the claim entirely and the client paying no settlement amount
- Developed legal arguments in connection with a claim by the Kuwait tax authority against a non-resident client for income taxes due, resulting in the Kuwait tax authority dropping the claim
- Developed legal arguments in connection with a California tax authority challenge to the tax treatment of a corporate reorganization, resulting in the California tax authority dropping the claim entirely and the client paying no settlement amount
- Successfully challenged a state taxing authority's claim for Use Tax on the purchase of an aircraft.
Publications and Speeches
- "Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act," Author of a chapter in the Manual of Foreign Investment in the United States (West, a Thompson business)
- Duke Center for International Development's Program on Tax Policy, Revenue Estimation, and Legal Environment of Taxation, Speaker on tax issues of concern to foreign investors, Presented to representatives of the Nigeria Federal Inland Revenue Service, Washington D.C., 2013
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- African Arts Foundation, Director
Duke University School of Law, J.D.
- Graduated with Honors
University of Michigan, A.B.
- Graduated with Distinction
- King & Spalding LLP, Tax Counsel
- Hogan & Hartson LLP, Partner
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Associate
- District of Columbia