Helen Odar Wolstoncroft brings extensive experience in intellectual property, including preparation and prosecution, counseling, licensing and other corporate transactions as well as litigation. Throughout her career, Ms. Wolstoncroft has worked in all aspects of intellectual property law, including copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets and patents.
Prior to joining Potomac Law Group, Ms. Wolstoncroft was Senior Counsel at Saxton & Stump. Earlier in her career, she worked as an intellectual property attorney for two large multinational corporations. She also practiced intellectual property law at two Am Law 100 firms in Chicago. She began her career as a Patent Examiner in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office in Washington, D.C.
While in Chicago, she taught intellectual property licensing at the John Marshall Law School of Law. She also taught patent law at Penn State Dickinson Law School.
- Participated in all aspects of a patent jury trial involving field effect transistor devices in which client obtained a finding of infringement
- Participated in all aspects of trial preparation and trial in front of the U.S. International Trade Commission in which temporary exclusion order was obtained
- Participated in the drafting of the amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court related to color trademarks; the result of the Supreme Court decision enabled client to obtain registration of its color mark
- Argued priority case in front of U.S. Patent Office Board of Appeals
- Participated in various stages of 20 copyright infringement cases for music licensing organization
- Managed intellectual property licensing function for all U.S. entities of a multinational corporation
- Drafted trademark license agreements used by large automotive manufacturing corporation in its licensing program
- Established trademark licensing program for various product lines of large multinational chemical company
- First member of corporate patent law department that was part of the business team for the business unit
- Patent examiner in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Wrote speeches and articles on current intellectual property issues while at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on behalf of the Patent Office for several members of Congress
Publications and Speeches
- “Issues to Keep in Mind with Intellectual Property Agreements,” Presenter, ACC Central PA, August 2019
- “Copyright Do’s and Don’ts in Describing Scientific Papers,” Presenter, PITTCON 2019, March 2019
- “Who Owns the Design,” Speaker, Building Industry Association of Lancaster County, March 2019
- “The Basics of Intellectual Property,” Speaker, Ben Franklin Technology Partners TechCelerator Program, October 2018
- “Who Owns the Design?” Construction Executive, August 9, 2019
- Institute For Children and Families, Board Member (2009)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Lancaster Bar Association
News, Events & Insights
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.,
- summa cum laude
University of Notre Dame, B.S.Ch.E.
Kirkland & Ellis
Sidley & Austin
Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione (now Crowell Moring)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office