Pamela Egan is a Partner in our Restructuring and Bankruptcy group with twenty years of experience leveraging the problem-solving powers of the bankruptcy court for her clients. High-level litigation skills complement Ms. Egan’s creativity and tenacity. Along with her colleagues, she handles all aspects of bankruptcy, including commencing and managing a bankruptcy case, negotiating DIP financing, selling and purchasing assets in and out of bankruptcy, claims resolution, and avoidance actions.
- Counsel to the Debtor in In re XS Ranch Fund VI, L.P, U.S. Bankruptcy N.D. Cal., Case No. 16-31367, involving a large real estate development in Texas. Conceived and successfully executed strategy to use Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code to wipe out approximately $30 million in secured debt. Plan confirmed. Creditors paid in full.
- Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, In re Empyrean Towers, LLC, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, N.D. Cal., Case No. 15-42341. The Committee’s constituency consisted primarily of tort claimants who asserted significant claims against the debtor as landlord of a single-room occupancy residential hotel in Oakland, CA. The Committee was instrumental in ensuring the sale of the building to a non-profit, which is now renovating the hotel pursuant to a 50-year commitment with the City of Oakland to maintain the building as affordable housing with social services support.
- Counsel to the Chapter 11 Trustee in one of the first bankruptcy cases in the United States of a crypto-currency mining company, In re Giga Watt, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, E.D. WA, Case No. 18-03197. To date, subject to Court approval, the Chapter 11 Trustee has re-opened more than half of the Debtor’s operations, which were moribund when the Chapter 11 Trustee was appointed. Ms. Egan recently won a contested evidentiary hearing and preliminary injunction against Giga Watt’s former CEO, who claimed ownership of one of the Debtor’s crypto-mining facilities. Case involves cutting edge issues regarding treatment of claims in bankruptcy arising from an ICO.
SELECTED PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
- Pachulski Stang Ziehl & Jones LLP
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Winner 2019 M&A Advisory Group 13thAnnual Turnaround Award for her work in XS Ranch Fund VI, LP
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- AV Preeminent Peer Rating (Martindale-Hubbell’s highest distinction for ethics and legal ability)
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Director, Alliance Francaise of San Francisco (2008-2018)
- Co-Chair, Eurasia-Russia Committee, ABA Section of International Law (2015-2018)
- Volunteer, Innovation Working Group of the US-Russia Bilateral Presidential Commission
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law
- Washington State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- Handbook on Global Social Media Law for Business Lawyers, ABA, Contributing Author (2017)
- “Interplay Between Russian Bankruptcy and American Fraudulent Transfer Law,” Russia and Eurasia Committee (January-June 2016 edition)
- “Zachary v. California Bank & Trust, 811 F.3d 1191 (9th Cir. 2016),” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law (June 01, 2016)
- “Russian Business Takes Legal Disputes Abroad,” The Moscow Times (May 5, 2015)
- “Into the Brambles: Section 507(a)(4) and Executoriness,” 21 American Bankruptcy Institute Journal 36, No. 4 (May 2012)
- “Valuation and the Chapter 11 Process” in Contested Valuation in Corporate Bankruptcy – A Collier Monograph, LexisNexis (2011)
- “New Meaning of Ordinary: Anything Short of Extraordinary,” 13 Bankruptcy Litigation 1 (Winter/Spring 2006)
- “BAPCPA Headaches Await,” 19 BCD Weekly News & Comment No. 19 at 5 (comment on section 547 amendments) (Jan. 10, 2006)
- “Equitable Subordination in Bankruptcy,” 6 For the District of Oregon 2, Federal Bar Ass’n, Oregon Chapter (Fall 2001)
- Speaker, Disclosure Vehicles & Discovery Tools, ABA Dispute Resolution Conference, Moscow (September 27, 2018)
- “Beyond the Oligarchs, A Survey of Legal Obstacles to Innovation in Russia.” Presented at the ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting (April 2016)
- “Russia/Ukraine Economic Sanctions – One Year Later, Legal, Policy, and Practical Perspectives” Sponsored by the Professional Association of Exporters and Importers (March 2015)