John Moss is a Partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office who represents clients in all phases of litigation in state and federal courts. He has represented several Fortune 100 global companies in a wide variety of industries, including manufacturers and retailers of consumer electronics, appliances, scientific instruments, automobiles, pharmaceuticals and children’s products.
Mr. Moss’ trial and litigation experience includes high-stakes product liability matters; patent litigation; mass tort pharmaceutical litigation; consumer fraud class actions; and a variety of other commercial litigation. As a product safety lawyer, he helps companies assess their compliance with regulations, execute effective recalls in cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), and defend CPSC civil penalty actions.
- Obtained a unanimous $42.5 million jury verdict (including $30 million in punitive damages) on behalf of a product distributor in a high profile three-week trial in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California against defendant Gree China, a global manufacturer of home appliances.
- Successfully overturned US judgment against foreign clients based upon lack of jurisdiction, and obtained substantial sanctions from the trial court against the opposing party.
- Defended a global automobile manufacturer in patent litigation (including a trial in the E.D. of Texas) related to its consumer Web sites and customer relationship management systems.
- Successfully defended False Claims Act whistleblower litigation arising from alleged off-label drug promotion.
- Defended several bellwether product liability trials related to nationwide mass tort claims by thousands of plaintiffs who alleged that prescription hormone products cause cancer.
- Winston & Strawn, LLP, Partner (1998-2016)
- Locke Lord, LLP, Associate (1995-1998)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Order of the Coif, DePaul University College of Law
- Certificate in Health Law, DePaul University College of Law
- Articles Editor, Journal of Health and Hospital Law
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- American Bar Association (Intellectual Property, Administrative Law, Litigation, Science and Technology Law, and Tort and Insurance Law sections)
- Defense Research Institute (Product Liability, Fire and Casualty, Class Action, Drug and Medical Device, Commercial Litigation, Trial Tactics, Professionalism and Ethics Committees)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- “Avoiding and Defeating Consumer Class Actions,” eLunch Briefings (February 2011)
- “Product Liability Crises Management,” July 2010, Beijing, China
- “Effect of State and Foreign Regulation of Product Safety,” AHAM Product Safety and Liability Conference, October 2009, Washington D.C.
- “Product Safety Compliance—Recreational Products Specialized Litigation Group,” Defense Research Institute Annual Products Liability Conference, April 2009, San Diego
- “New State Product Labeling Laws – Preempted?,” Law 360 Product Liability Section, April 2009
- “2008 Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) Update,” February 2009, Webinar
- “Consequences of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008,” Executive Counsel, January 2009
- “Product Safety & Liability—Minimizing Manufacturers’ Exposure,” December 2008, Chinese Manufacturers’ Association of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- “Product Safety & Liability 2008—Meeting and Managing The Challenges of Product Safety in China,” December 2008, Shanghai, China
- “Navigating New Hazards—Increased Risk of Criminal Liability Under the CPSIA,” Law 360 Product Liability Section, December 2008
- “The Perfect Storm: New Consumer Protection Law Promises a Rough Ride,” Corporate Counselor, December 2008
- “Addressing Ambiguities Under the CPSIA,” Law 360 Product Liability Section, September 2008