Steve Walter is a Partner in our Banking and Commercial Loan Group. Mr. Walter is a responsive, efficient, and practical commercial loan lawyer who has almost twenty years of experience in loan documentation and closings.
Mr. Walter regularly represents national, regional, and local financial institutions and borrowers in all types of secured and unsecured, syndicated and single-lender credit facilities. He handles all aspects of loan transactions, including drafting and negotiating credit agreements, collateral security packages and related loan documents.
Given his substantial experience, Mr. Walter is frequently called upon to represent clients looking to finance and leverage government contract receivables. He also has experience working on general corporate matters, including corporate governance issues and mergers and acquisitions. The primary focus of Mr. Walter’s corporate work was in the energy sector, with an emphasis on solar facility acquisitions, solar facility leases, and project financing. He also has significant experience handling commercial real estate transactions, construction loans, and hotel financing.
- Represented a publicly-traded business development company, as borrower, in the restructuring of $1.1 billion of private notes and bank debt.
- Represented a publicly-traded business development company, as borrower, in the refinancing of its existing private notes and bank debt with a $250 million senior secured term loan.
- Represented a private government contractor, as borrower, in connection with a $155 million syndicated credit facility.
- Represented a regional bank, as agent and lender, in connection with a $275 million revolving line of credit and swing line facility made available to a publicly-traded government contractor.
- Represented an alcohol and beverage wholesale distributor, as borrower, in connection with a $120 million syndicated credit facility.
- Represented a regional bank, as lender, in connection with a $48 million loan to refinance existing debt of, and provide working capital to, DC-area hospitals.
- Represented a national bank, as lender, in connection with a $25 million real estate secured loan.
- Represented a bank, as lender, in connection with a syndicated $38 million credit facility to a local health club with an emphasis on leasehold security interests.
- Represented a bank, as lender, in a $33 million syndicated credit facility to finance an ESOP acquisition.
- Represented a bank, as lender, in an $86 million loan secured by a commercial office building.
- Represented a national bank in a $32 million acquisition loan to a government contractor.
- Represented regional bank in a $50 million loan to a government contractor with multiple accordions.
- Represented regional bank in a $5 million working capital line of credit to a government contractor.
- Represented a publicly-traded energy company, as buyer, in an acquisition and $100 million financing of a solar project.
- Represented a major energy conglomerate in “Latin American Water Deal of the Year.”
- Represented an owner of multiple gas-fired generating facilities, as borrower, in connection with a $120 million credit facility.
- Represented an owner of multiple gas-fired generating facilities, as seller, in connection with a $95 million sale of a 49% interest in its parent company.
- Represented a client, as seller, in connection with an $85 million sale of 100% of entity that owned a high voltage transmission path.
- Represented a client, as seller, in a $59 million sale of wholesale power and swap contracts.
- Represented a client, as seller, in connection with a $38 million sale of partnership interests of an entity operating chilled water-cooling systems.
Publications and Speeches
News, Events & Insights
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors
Cornell University, B.S., with distinction
- Shulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker, Partner
- Dickstein Shapiro, Counsel
- District of Columbia