Whether working with sophisticated in-house counsel at a large pharmaceutical company or an individual inventor with little experience in the patent process, Russell Timm’s practice is based on the premise that a patent is not an end in and of itself, but rather a tool to achieve business objectives. When it comes to the patenting process, Dr. Timm has a particular interest in the areas of patent-eligible subject matter, double patenting and terminal disclaimers, patent term adjustment, and the differences in the patenting process in countries around the world.
Working with both US and foreign colleagues, Dr. Timm has pursued patent protection for his clients’ inventions in more than forty national and multinational patent offices, from Europe and Japan to Costa Rica and the UAE. His clients’ technologies encompass therapeutic antibodies and ADCs, agricultural biotechnology, disease and infection diagnostics, vaccines, human and animal health products, novel pharmaceuticals, screening methods, RNA interference and complex materials.
Dr. Timm’s graduate research involved analyzing the effect of androgens on the expression of a high-affinity carnitine transporter.
- Prosecuted and secured patents encompassing therapeutic antibodies and ADCs for several large multinational pharmaceutical companies, including ones approved for the treatment of Non- Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL) and acute lymphoblastic lymphoma (ALL).
- Prosecuted and secured patents encompassing transgenic plants and related products for a large multinational agrochemical/seed company.
- Prosecuted and secured patents encompassing a variety of technologies for both a private and public university in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Prosecuted and secured patents encompassing a novel complex material for treating wastewater for a small start-up company in the southeastern US.
- Counseled a non-profit organization based in Africa on how to protect traditional medicines/remedies.
News, Events & Insights
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D.
- Medical College of Georgia, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Ph.D.
- Pennsylvania State University, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, minor in Chemistry, B.S.
- Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP, Of Counsel
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, Associate
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office