Matthew Lykken is Counsel in the firm’s Taxation practice group. He has three decades of planning and audit experience in international corporate tax in the biopharma, medical manufacturing and petrochemical industries, including roles as global head of tax and regional director in both EMEA and Asia-Pacific.
- Managed U.S. and foreign audit and Appeals work on a variety of international issues for multinational corporate taxpayers. Performed Tax Court litigation for the I.R.S.
- Managed transfer pricing audits, APAs, and CA proceedings in various jurisdictions worldwide and implemented the most complex of the original Compliance Assurance Process audits.
- Negotiated with Puerto Rican, Swiss, and Singaporean authorities regarding tax incentive grants.
- Performed U.S. and foreign tax design for third-party and intercompany financings.
- Provided advice and planning support in response to the TCJA.
- Provided U.S./ and foreign tax support for M&A and for both wholly-owned and joint venture investments in various business lines in numerous countries around the world.
- Served as fill-in regional tax director for EMEA and for Asia-Pac and as fill-in international director for companies facing a sudden senior staff gap.
Publications and Speeches
- Mrs. Logan Comes to a Sudden Realization: An Analysis of the Current State of the Open Transaction Doctrine, 42 Okla. L. Rev. 581 (1989)
- “Shared Economic Growth: A Proposal for Tax Reform,” 118 Tax Notes 1221 (March 12, 2008)
- “The GAO Analysis on Multinational Corporations: Trial by Innuendo,” 51 Tax Notes Int’l 1031 (September 22, 2008)
- It’s Not That Difficult: The Shared Economic Growth Solution to Tax Reform, 35 Pace L. Rev. 918 (2015)
- “The Philosophy of Digital Taxation,” 93 Tax Notes International 859 (February 25, 2019)
- “It’s Not Too Late to Achieve Shared Economic Growth,” 164 Tax Notes 2065 (September 23, 2019)
News, Events & Insights
Harvard Law School, J.D.
- cum laude
University of Minnesota, B.A.
- Fortune 200 medical products company, Vice President, Tax
- Fortune 25 oil company, Associate General Tax Counsel, Planning & Litigation
- Internal Revenue Service, Field Attorney
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Tax Court