Matt Bergman is a Partner in our Banking and Commercial Loan Practice. Mr. Bergman has closed more than $3.5 billion in deals while representing both lenders and borrowers. He and his team cost-effectively serve Washington D.C. Metro area and national clients as a trusted business and legal advisor on working capital lines of credit, acquisition financings, real estate loans, leveraged buy-out financings, asset-based loans‚ hard money loans and virtually every other secured or unsecured financing arrangement with values from $50,000 to $500,000,000.
Recognized as a Power Player by Smart CEO Magazine, Mr. Bergman is considered by clients as a market leader for loan syndication, club deals and participations. He regularly represents lead banks, bank participants and borrowers in multi-bank credit facilities. Mr. Bergman’s practical, straight-forward, deal-making approach received a 100% satisfaction rate from his clients in a recent Client Satisfaction Survey and has earned him many new clients who witnessed his professionalism and effectiveness from the other side of a deal.
Mr. Bergman is known nationally as one of the most experienced attorneys for government contractor financing arrangements. Situated in the heart of the Metropolitan Washington region, he is well positioned to stay on top of the latest requirements and opportunities for assisting lenders and government contractors to cost-effectively finance government receivables.
In addition to financial services, clients from professional services, technology, construction, hospitality, real estate and retail businesses regularly seek Mr. Bergman’s counsel and guidance on all types of business contracts and agreements. He and his team assist national, regional and local clients in reviewing their agreements with customers, suppliers, vendors, point-of-sale providers and merchant banks to manage and properly allocate the risk, liability and losses that may result from virtually any event or circumstance‚ including cybersecurity and data breaches. He has developed a deep base of experience in information management-related issues as part of advising his financial services industry clients and the broad range of businesses with whom they work.
- Documented, negotiated and closed a $25,000,000 loan transaction made by a national bank to a regional health and fitness club company.
- Documented, negotiated and closed a $27,500,000 credit facility made by a regional bank to a local government contractor.
- Reviewed a credit agreement on behalf of a national bank participating in a syndicated credit facility.
- Represented the lead bank and administrative agent in a $500,000,000 credit facility made available to an international government contractor.
- Documented, negotiated and closed a real estate acquisition, construction and development loan made by a regional bank to a regional developer.
- Represented a private equity group providing $3,500,000 of mezzanine financing to a government contractor.
- Drafted form loan documents for a regional bank to use for virtually all of its loan transactions.
- Drafted form addenda for a national bank to use for its loans and credit facilities made available to government contractors.
- Handled the workout and restructure on behalf of a business development company of $1,000,000,000 of debt held by financial institutions and insurance companies.
- Handled various contract reviews and negotiations on behalf of a national operator of rest stops and airport concessions.
- Documented, negotiated and closed a $5,000,000 loan made by a lender to a skilled nursing facility operator.
- Documented, negotiated and closed a $7,500,000 loan made by a lender to a pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a private equity group providing debt and equity to a local government contractor.
- Documented, negotiated and closed a $5,000,000 credit facility made by a community bank to a company specializing in buying, renovating and selling residential housing.
Publications and Speeches
- Assignment of Claims Act Documentation
- Presentation: Loan Documentation 101
- The Financing Advisor: Confessions of a Borrower
- Presentation: Avoiding the Pitfalls of Lender Liability
- The Financing Advisor: Assignment of Claims Act Documentation
- Presentation: Financing Government Receivables
- Closing Checklists for Loan Transactions‚ A Roadmap to Efficiency
- The Financing Advisor: Do You Know Your Collateral?
- Presentation: How to Minimize Your Risk of Loss from a Data Breach on a Limited Budget
- 3 Simple Steps to Protect Your Business from Cybersecurity Losses
News, Events & Insights
The George Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1991
Brandeis University, B.A., with honors, 1988
- Shulman Rogers, Partner
- Dickstein Shapiro‚ Partner
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland