Jim Dougherty is an experienced and accomplished government contracts and technology lawyer, gained by over two-decades of experience as in-house lawyer and law firm counsel. He has extensive experience in counseling and representing technology companies and government contractors in a myriad of transactional and litigation environments. He has served as the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of several technology companies, where he led all legal, compliance, and risk management functions. He has also served in senior roles with leading technology companies such as Cisco Systems and Intel Corporation. Mr. Dougherty was both an Associate and Counsel with Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher where he worked on government contracts litigation and compliance matters and technology and strategic transactions. He began his legal career as a U.S. Army JAG officer and served as a Commissioner on the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Managed all legal support and compliance issues for defense and aerospace sub-systems provider.
- Managed all legal and contracts support for provider of deployable 4G/LTE wireless networks to international and domestic government and commercial customers.
- Managed all legal support for wholly-owned Intel subsidiary to provide technology solutions and services to the USG on a cost-reimbursement basis, and led the USG compliance program.
- Led USG contracts compliance program for Intel Corp and all subsidiaries (including McAffee and Wind River), and chaired Intel’s USG Contracts Practice Group.
- Closed a $35M software integration agreement with a California state agency and numerous related subcontracts for a “Big 4” IT consulting firm in 90 days.
- Re-negotiated mission- critical application software license for Fortune 50 outsourcing provider over 30-day period for $25 million less than licensor’s proposed fee.
- Negotiated and closed transition services and technology license agreements related to the asset purchase of a semiconductor fabrication facility in Germany.
- Second-chaired the defense team in S. ex. rel. Battaglia v. Texas Data Control, No. 395-CV-550X(N.D. Tex. 1998), which was named the Defense Win of the Year by the National Law Journal.
- Managed and conducted false claims act, claims and bid protest litigation in numerous Federal, administrative and state courts, including the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the GAO and the ASBCA.
New York University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Journal of International Law & Politics, Editorial Staff and Senior Articles Editor
The College of William & Mary, B.A., with high honors, Government, 1987
- Oceus NetWorks, Inc., VP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
- Intel Corporation – Intel Federal LLC, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, Of Counsel; Associate
- CISCO Systems Inc., Managing Attorney, Worldwide Channels
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia