Greg focuses his practice on dispute resolution and advising clients around cyber security, privacy, blockchain, AI, and other technology related issues. He has extensive experience in high-profile international and domestic arbitration and litigation matters advising all sizes of clients, from Fortune 100 businesses, to non-U.S. sovereigns, to small businesses and individuals. He has appeared before ICSID tribunals, the International Trade Commission (ITC), U.S. Circuit Courts, U.S. District Courts, U.S. State courts, and a variety of arbitration tribunals to resolve disputes with claims ranging from millions to billions of dollars.
Mr. Ewing also brings a deep technical knowledge and understanding of technology to his practice. He was a software developer and consultant before law school, which gives him the practical background to give clients the legal advice they need on all manners of contractual, licensing, privacy, and technological issues. Combining his deep legal and technical understanding, Greg provides real world, practical advice to help clients develop and update cutting edge cybersecurity policies, privacy compliance programs, licensing models, and technology contracting strategies.
- Represented a Latin American country in an UNCITRAL investor-state arbitration under the BIT administered by the PCA. The Tribunal issued its final award, awarding less than five percent of the total amount requested by claimants.
- Represented a Middle Eastern country in international arbitrations that arose out of a failed project to construct a modern railway, where claims of more than US$1 billion in damages were sought against our client. We obtained a discontinuance of the ICSID arbitration and an ICC award in favor of our client.
- Represented Latin American state-owned oil company in an ICSID arbitration brought by an oil and gas company involving the imposition of a windfall tax on oil profits and collection proceedings. The damages claimed exceeded US$400M and it was dismissed after a favorable settlement was reached.
- Represented digital camera patent holder in ITC action against a large Korean technology company. The case was dismissed after a settlement favorable to our client was reached.
- Defended pharmaceutical companies in multi-billion-dollar patent litigation
- Protected rights of patent holder and assisted in obtaining willful infringement jury verdict
- Represented defense contractor in agency and GAO dispute regarding bid protest
- Represented subcontractor and prime contractor in government contract arbitrations
Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Developed GDPR and U.S. Privacy compliance programs for startups through Fortune 500 companies
- Drafted and updated a wide variety of necessary agreements and contracts including SaaS agreements, licensing agreements, MSAs, and purchase agreements
- Advised clients on adoption and development of AI tools, blockchain, and other cutting edge technology, especially around privacy and cybersecurity implications
- Assisted fintechs and blockchain startups with formation and ongoing legal needs related to both business and technology
- Advised clients on industry best practices and legal requirements around cybersecurity
Honors & Awards
- Top Rated International Attorney, SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2014-present
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Washington Lawyer’s Committee, 2011
- Board Member, Breadcoin
News, Events & Insights
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D.
- magna cum laude
University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- Winston & Strawn
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia