Barry S. Goldsmith is a Partner in our Patent group. Mr. Goldsmith’s practice focuses on patent matters in a wide variety of electrical/computer engineering disciplines including computer software and hardware, integrated circuit designs, computer processor architectures, semiconductor processing, cellular and land-based telecommunication systems, smartphone features, medical devices and optical systems.
Mr. Goldsmith has prepared and prosecuted thousands of United States patent applications involving computer software and hardware, semiconductor processing, telecommunication systems, smartphone features, medical devices and optical systems. The computer software technologies include user interfaces, cloud-based identity management systems, virtualization systems, middleware, artificial intelligence systems, product configurators and databases. The computer hardware technologies include microprocessor architectures, disk drives, solid state memory, routers and computer networks. The telecommunication systems include VoIP, CDMA and GSM technologies as well as haptic functionality for smartphones.
Mr. Goldsmith also handles appeals to the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and patent post-grant proceedings, including, post grant reviews, inter partes reviews, and covered business method reviews. He represents clients in complex patent and IP litigation before district courts and in Section 337 investigations before the US International Trade Commission (ITC).
Before attending law school, Mr. Goldsmith was an engineer for IBM Corporation where he designed integrated circuits and circuit boards for personal computers.
- Representing a leading enterprise software company in obtaining patents.
- Representing a leading haptics technology company in obtaining patents.
- Representing a leading semiconductor chip maker in obtaining patents.
- Representing a leading telecommunications company in obtaining patents.
- Representing a client in a patent infringement litigation involving catalytic converters.
- Representing a leading communications solutions provider in a patent infringement litigation involving Internet packet switching technology.
- Representing a client in a gray market trademark and trade dress infringement in the ITC.
University of Florida College of Law, J.D., with honors
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- cum laude
- Miles & Stockbridge, Partner
- Womble Carlyle, Partner
- Kenyon & Kenyon, Associate
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office