Sam Rowley is a Partner in the firm’s Commercial Litigation practice. He has more than 15 years of experience representing clients in complex commercial litigation matters with an emphasis on high stakes disputes involving fiduciary duties, creditor rights, and franchise and distribution laws. Sam also regularly advises clients in the energy, construction, real estate, and automotive industries, and has litigated numerous issues arising from partnership and LLC disputes.
A seasoned trial attorney, he has tried several cases to juries, judges, and arbitrators and has worked on appeals in state and federal appellate courts, including the US Supreme Court.
- Defending one of the nation’s largest beverage distributors in a high-profile breach of fiduciary duty dispute brought by shareholders
- Represented unsecured creditors’ committee in fraudulent transfer litigation arising in Texas bankruptcy proceeding of frac sand mining company, increasing creditor recovery threefold
- Obtained complete trial victory on behalf of mortgage lending servicer in defending fraudulent transfer and breach of contract claims seeking more than $40 million in damages in Delaware bankruptcy proceeding
- Defended major auto manufacturer in successful defense of a fraudulent transfer/unjust enrichment action seeking more than $30 million in damages brought by the liquidating trustee of electric auto manufacturer startup in Delaware bankruptcy proceeding
- Represented private equity owner of a 675-megawatt natural gas fired power plant in an international arbitration against foreign contractor in dispute over nine-figure claims and counterclaims arising from delays in completion of the project
- Tried first-of-its-kind creditor derivative action for bondholders of distressed credit default swap company in the Delaware Court of Chancery; obtained $10 million award of attorneys' fees
- Obtained $30 million judgment after trial for newly formed oil and gas company in offshore construction litigation arising in Texas bankruptcy proceeding of major oil and gas driller
- Represented industry trade association challenging the constitutionality of amendments to state legislation regulating auto manufacturers in Florida and Connecticut
- Represented secured term-lenders and unsecured creditors’ committees in several major bankruptcy proceedings in Delaware and New York arising from the Great Recession
Honors & Awards
- President’s Award, Boston Bar Association (2007)
- John J. Curtin Public Service Award, Boston Bar Association (2008)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2012-2014
- Practice Group of the Year, Member, Law360 (2017-2019)
Publications and Speeches
- Distribution of Vehicles in the U.S. and the Impact of State Law, Author, Morgan Lewis Insight (January 10, 2020)
- Arbitration ADR vs. Litigation: What’s the Best Dispute Resolution Option for Your Transaction, Presenter, Morgan Lewis Seminar (January 8, 2020)
- Distribution of Vehicles in the U.S. and the Impact of State Law, Speaker, Morgan Lewis Webinar (June 19, 2019)
- State Regulation of Motor Vehicle Warranty Payments: Special Interest Legislation Run Amok, Speaker, Auto Distribution: Current Issues & Future Trends Workshop held by FTC (January 19, 2016)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Landmark decisions for Uighurs held at Guantanamo Bay
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, member
The George Washington University Law School, J.D.
Middlebury College, B.A.
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, Partner
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
Areas of Practice
- US District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit