Maria Ianiro is Counsel in the firm's Intellectual Property Practice and focuses on patent matters in a wide variety of areas including computer and software arts, system applications, and smart technologies such as self-driving software, health monitoring systems, augmented reality, infotainment, machine learning, vehicle mechanical systems and cloud connectivity.
Ms. Ianiro has prepared and prosecuted hundreds of United States patent applications for entrepreneurs, international corporations and individual inventors and has niche expertise in computer-related technologies within the automotive industry. She conducts patent searches and analyses including patentability, infringement, and state-of-the-art searches and opinions. Her real-world computer programming experience and formal education in computer science and the law provide unique value and perspective to her clients.
In addition to patent counseling, Ms. Ianiro’s practice includes trademark prosecution and IP-related contract drafting. She often works with small businesses and supports the development of minority-owned small businesses and entrepreneurs.
Ms. Ianiro is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Case Western Reserve University. Prior to joining Potomac Law Group, Ms. Ianiro was Partner at Ranking, Hill & Clark LLP. She previously worked as a programming analyst for Quadax, Inc., a leading technology company serving the healthcare industry.
- Lead patent prosecution process from concept to completion and counsel clients from entrepreneurs and mid-level organizations to companies with annual revenue of $100B+
- Facilitate invention harvesting sessions with in-house counsel and engineers to identify patent opportunities and align patent strategy with business goals
- Drafted and prosecuted 100+ patent applications before the USPTO such as computer software, system applications, and smart technology (e.g., self-driving software, health monitoring systems, augmented reality, infotainment, machine learning, vehicle mechanical systems, and cloud connectivity)
- Partnered with in-house counsel of leading global automotive manufacturer to draft patents
- Utilized computer science background to initiate and develop relationships with largest client of a law firm, leading to overall business growth and hiring of three additional team members
Honors & Awards
- Cleveland Bridge Builders, Graduate, Class of 2017
Publications and Speeches
- Copyright and the Cloud: Up in the Air After Aereo, Co-Presenter, AILPA Annual Meeting (October 1, 2015)
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, Volunteer Attorney
- Playhouse Square, Board Member (2014-2017)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), New Lawyers Committee Liaison to Electronic and Computer Law (2013-2015)
- Italian (Limited Working Proficiency)
News, Events & Insights