Kelli McTaggart is a Partner in our Corporate and Litigation Practices. She has twenty years of legal experience, including extensive experience in the field of ethics and compliance. Her experience includes building, managing, and assessing ethics and compliance programs, conducting risk assessments, managing third parties, advising on and managing conflicts of interest, conducting compliance due diligence on strategic transactions, managing compliance with deferred prosecution agreements and consent decrees, and helping organizations build and maintain a culture of integrity. She is also experienced in advising companies on, and developing programs to comply with, the FCPA and global anti-corruption laws, U.S. government sanctions, and laws against fraud, kickbacks, and insider trading. She has launched and run employee training programs and created codes of conduct and other company policies.
Ms. McTaggart also has extensive experience with internal investigations. She has conducted investigations around the world on a range of issues, including fraud, anti-corruption, and employment matters. She has advised senior company leaders on investigations and self-reporting. She also has experience establishing whistleblowing mechanisms and investigation protocols.
Ms. McTaggart most recently served as the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer of Time Warner, Inc. (now Warner Media, a division of AT&T). As Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer of the $31B public company, she was the senior company officer responsible for all aspects of the global ethics and compliance program, which covered the business activities of 26,000 employees in over 130 countries. In her role, she advised senior executive management and the Audit and Finance Committee of the Time Warner Board of Directors on the company’s ethics and compliance program and internal investigations.
Prior to joining Time Warner, Ms. McTaggart was a litigator and criminal defense attorney in private practice in Washington D.C., beginning her career with Miller, Cassidy, Larrocca & Lewin, and later practicing at Baker Botts and WilmerHale. Ms. McTaggart also served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in the District of Maryland and was a law clerk to the Hon. Frank J. Magill on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- During her tenure managing Time Warner’s ethics and compliance program, Time Warner was repeatedly recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies.”
- Ms. McTaggart has represented individuals in high-profile cases, including the Enron task force prosecutions and a Congressional investigation into President Clinton’s end-of-term pardons.
- Successfully defended, at trial and on appeal, a start-up telecommunications company in a hostile takeover action.
- Board President, CASA for Children of D.C.
- Volunteer, Catholic Migration Services
- Former Co-Chair of the D.C. Bar Section on Criminal Law and Individual Rights
News, Events & Insights
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1998
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- CALI Award for Highest Grade in Criminal Procedure
- The Georgetown Law Journal, Notes Editor
- Georgetown University, B.A., 1992
- cum laude
- Time Warner, Inc. (now WarnerMedia LLC), Vice President, Associate General Counsel and Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer
- WilmerHale LLP, Associate
- Federal Public Defender, District of Maryland, Assistant Federal Public Defender
- Baker Botts LLP, Associate
- Miller, Cassidy, Larroca & Lewin LLP, Associate
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit, Judicial Clerk for Hon. Frank J. Magill
- District of Columbia
- New York