Justin Ooms is a Counsel in the firm’s Energy and Environmental group. His practice focuses on energy law, where he represents clients before the Michigan Public Service Commission, including energy suppliers and marketers, independent power producers, manufacturers, agricultural processors, public entities and institutions, and trade associations representing competitive power supply and business interests. He has also represented developers and lenders as Michigan counsel on the development of energy generation projects in Michigan.
Mr. Ooms' wide-ranging regulatory experience also includes anti-trust law, assisting clients with pre-merger filings under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1978, and insurance agency/brokerage regulatory law.
- Assisted with permitting and local land use issues for wind and solar generation projects.
- Successfully sought FERC waivers for a large university’s generating units.
- Lead associate on HSR team assisting one of world’s top 10 insurance brokers prepare pre-merger filings, including a $3.45 billion capital raise.
- Servant’s Center (Grand Rapids, MI), Board Member
Memberships and Affiliations
- Energy Bar Association
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D.
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Indiana Law Journal, Articles Editor
Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany
Calvin University, B.A. with Honors
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan