Ido is a Partner in the firm’s Patent practice where his 20+ years of experience as a patent prosecutor has helped his clients seamlessly navigate the entire life-cycle of a patent. He knows that the hallmark of an effective patent prosecutor is the ability to articulate the essence of an invention in a way that leads to its greatest value in a client’s portfolio.
Whether his client is an academic institution looking to license its patents for commercialization, or an industry player looking to best its competition and increase its market valuation, Ido begins each engagement by identifying the inventive kernel, molding it into a set of patentable claims, and crafting applications that lead to a granted patent that will survive challenges and become an important portfolio asset. His clients value his ability to see the end game from the first disclosure of the invention, and then to harness his experience to get from here to there.
Ido’s practice focuses on patent prosecution (including representation of clients in patent appeals and re-examination proceedings) and strategic patent portfolio building covering a myriad of technologies in the electrical and mechanical fields, including telecommunications, computer and processor architecture and design, signal processing, complex electronic circuits, medical devices (implantable devices, surgical devices, machine/brain interfaces), secured communication (encryption and authentication-based technologies), large-scale data management systems, learning machines, etc. He also has extensive experience in opinion preparation, intellectual property transactional work, litigation (patent and contractual disputes), and trademark prosecution and litigation.
- Represented a seller in a $200M sale transaction of a medical device company, including review of client’s patent portfolio and preparation of freedom-to- operate studies of the portfolio.
- Represented a seller in a $4M sale of a telecommunication company’s patent portfolio, including review of client’s portfolio, and negotiation and preparation of sale documents.
- Secured a $5M award for a client in a commercial dispute arbitration.
- Counsel clients on intellectual property issues, including patentability, patent infringement and invalidity, freedom-to-operate studies, commercial transactions (including performing IP due diligence, negotiating and preparing commercial agreements such as IP licensing agreements, asset purchase agreements, etc.), litigation, trademark protection, etc.
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Successfully secured political asylum in the United States for an Iraqi national.
- Represented clients in landlord/tenant disputes, including appearances in a Boston-area Housing Court, and advocated on behalf of clients in court-mandated mediations to resolve landlord/tenants disputes.
News, Events & Insights
University of Toronto, J.D.
University of Toronto, M.A.Sc. (electrical engineering)
McGill University, B.Eng. (electrical engineering), graduated with distinction
- Occhiuti & Rohlicek, LLP, Partner
- Hunter Clark PLLC, Of Counsel
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C., Sr. Associate
- Fish & Richardson P.C., Associate
- District of Columbia
- Ontario, Canada
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office