Edgar Reilly is a Partner in the firm's Corporate group, advising clients on the full spectrum of financial and corporate matters. He brings a unique perspective for clients gained from his varied legal and business background spanning more than 25 years having worked as a commercial lender, large firm corporate attorney and lead in-house counsel.
Mr. Reilly is highly regarded as a strong advocate and creative problem solver with extensive commercial transaction and corporate counseling background in mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, general counsel services and commercial lending.
Focusing on representing privately-held businesses on both the buying and selling side of transactions, he has led deal teams in connection with over $2.5 Billion in complex business acquisitions/divestitures, including the use of representation and warranty insurance. In addition, he has represented companies in their equity issuances and lenders and borrowers in a variety of secured/unsecured senior and subordinated credit facilities across a wide range of industries, including food businesses, real estate development, insurance, manufacturing, retail, financial services, energy, and telecommunications. He has been involved in the structuring, restructuring, and unwinding of multi-tiered credit facilities ranging in size from a few million dollars to $6 billion.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Reilly held in-house counsel positions in the real estate, hotel and energy development industries. Before returning to private practice, Mr. Reilly was the Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel of Quantum Foods, LLC, a privately held company with revenues in excess of half a billion dollars. Before his legal career, Mr. Reilly was a Second Vice President at The Northern Trust Company in Chicago where he gained international experience working in its Hong Kong office.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Served as lead counsel to Suntree Technologies in its acquisition by Oldcastle Infrastructure, including Suntree’s significant patent portfolio. Suntree is a leading manufacturer of high-performance storm water treatment products and Oldcastle is a division of publicly-traded CRH, a leading global diversified building materials group of companies and the largest building materials company in North America.
- Served as lead counsel to SVM Cards, a provider of physical and digital open and closed-loop prepaid cards to the global branded payments provider, Blackhawk Network.
- Documented the $30 million merger of two California-based equipment rental providers, which combined to develop a market-leading business supporting the needs of commercial contractors, including the negotiation of post-merger ownership stakes and documentation of post-merger management roles.
- Served as lead counsel to US-based subsidiary of a publicly-traded Indian company acquiring the assets of a US-based infrastructure supply company.
- Served as lead counsel structuring and documenting US-based acquisition operating entity of Canadian-based Private Equity sponsored home services company, including with respect to follow-on acquisitions and sponsor investments.
- Represented national transportation company in a series of acquisitions and divestitures of Federally regulated transportation businesses aggregating nearly $100 Million.
- Represented Seller of local certified public accounting practice for $3 Million utilizing SBA financing for acquiring party.
- Served as special US counsel advising Belgium and US shareholders of Advanced Engineering Valves on the sale of company to Emerson, a US-based publicly-traded company.
- Led domestic acquisitions at privately-held company and arranged financing. Full payback on international investment was achieved in two years and the value of enterprise increased 300%.
- Led international investment in European food manufacturing company.
- Negotiated and drafted various M&A commercial/financing agreements and managed due diligence teams in financial, manufacturing, railroad, technology, real estate and gaming businesses, with focus on privately-held entrepreneurial enterprises.
- Served as lead counsel for the issuer in a cross-border multimillion investment by a Chinese publicly-traded company.
- Served as special counsel to assist New Zealand-based vodka company with securities compliance with respect to US-based investors..
- Led negotiations and drafting for multiple asset-based bank financings at several privately-held companies and multiple amendments to same.
- Represented agent banks and borrowers - negotiated and drafted secured and unsecured large, syndicated bank credit facilities, including international $6 Billion Credit Facility.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous private equity and debt investments for start-up businesses.
- Lead borrower contact for multiple outside consultants regarding turnaround management and lender compliance matters.
Corporate and Commercial (General Counsel Services)
- Served as lead counsel for national equine supplement company in the formation and implementation of its authorized reseller program.
- Drafted compliance documents and maintained company records for over 30 entities.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous joint venture agreements and limited liability company agreements.
- Negotiated, drafted and closed multiple purchase and sale agreements for real estate assets.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous complex consulting, licensing and confidentiality agreements, including third party service, intellectual property, licensing, management, sponsorship and other legal documentation.
Publications and Speeches
- US-China Investment Risk Mitigation, Due Diligence and Regulatory Compliance, Presenter, Innoxcell Asia Pacific Summit, Chicago, IL (September 6, 2018)
The University of Chicago, The Law School, J.D.
The University of Notre Dame, B.S.
- L&G Law Group LLP, Partner
- Quantum Foods, LLC, Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel
- Winston & Strawn, Associate
- General Electric Capital Corporation, Operations Counsel
- The Honorable Eugene R. Wedoff, Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois, Law Clerk