Amanda Y. Baker is Counsel in our Patent group. Ms. Baker’s practice focuses on patent matters in a wide variety of areas including semiconductors, inductors, optics, video and image processing, electronic circuits, lasers, artificial intelligence, software, machine learning technologies, virtual and augmented reality devices, network security systems, and cellular technologies (4G and LTE).
Ms. Baker has prepared and prosecuted hundreds of United States patent applications for large domestic and international corporations, start-ups, universities, and individual inventors in the areas of telecommunications, hardware, cellular phones, antennas, optics, network security, oilfield and drilling technologies, medical imaging, blockchain technologies, display devices (LCD and LED), surgical devices, conveyor belts, transportation equipment, social media applications, and video gaming.
Ms. Baker also handles appeals to and oral arguments before the USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and patent post-grant proceedings, including post grant reviews, inter partes reviews, and covered business method reviews. She interfaces with foreign associates in the prosecution of foreign patent applications, with nuanced knowledge and experience with patent law and procedures in the European Union, Japan, and China.
- Acted as sole outside patent counsel for several major domestic corporations.
- Monitored and managed large IP portfolios, ensuring comprehensive patent protection in valuable technology areas.
- Conducted prior art searching for proposed inventions, analyzed potential prior art references, and rendered patentability, noninfringement, invalidity, and freedom-to-operate opinions.
- Worked with surgical device companies to develop comprehensive standard operating procedures for documenting and protecting inventions, as well as for compliance with applicable FDA guidelines.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star Award (2018)
Publications and Speeches
- Spoke at patent law conferences across the U.S. in areas such as ethics, patent law reform, and business methods.
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- World Central Kitchen, Team Lead
- Chefs for Afghans – Coordinated and executed overnight distribution of halal meals to Afghan refugees arriving at Dulles International Airport in cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of State, and Transportation Security Administration.
- Chefs for the Polls– Planned and oversaw distribution of partner restaurant meals to voters at polling sites in Washington, DC and Alexandria, VA.
- Chefs for America – Managed a large team of contractors and volunteers in preparing and distributing over 900,000 meals to individuals and organizations affected by COVID-19 in the Washington, DC area.
News, Events & Insights
University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, China
- Certificate in International and Comparative Business Law
University of South Florida, B.S., Electrical Engineering
- Cum laude
- Polsinelli PC
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office