Our education practice group strives to help higher education institutions, independent schools, educational associations, education technology companies, institutional service providers, and investors in education achieve their goals in a complex and frequently changing regulatory environment. Our lawyers have worked for many years in private practice supporting educational institutions and as in-house counsel in both large universities and start-up organizations. We provide advice and counseling regarding:
- Education Regulatory Matters, including federal regulations; state regulations; accreditation; and their impact on distance education, licensure, recruitment, new programs and locations, campus safety, athletics, and student aid.
- Civil Rights Laws applicable in the education context, including sexual harassment and sexual assault; affirmative action; disabilities laws; and state human rights laws.
- Privacy and Student Records, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Institutional Governance, including institutional bylaws and board policies; faculty governance; and academic freedom.
- Employment, including discrimination and harassment; wage and hour laws; accommodations related to disability and religion; family and medical leave; personnel policies; employee handbooks; employment contracts; and faculty tenure.
- Internal Investigations, including related to personnel matters, fraud, student and faculty misconduct, and athletics.
- Enrollment, including applications for admission; enrollment contracts; tuition refund programs; and termination of enrollment.
- PreK-12 student issues, including student/family handbooks; domestic and international trip documents and releases; homestay programs; and disciplinary matters.
Corporate and Litigation: Our knowledge of education regulations allows us to advise clients regarding business transactions and prepare commercial contracts and policies that are compliant from an education regulatory perspective. We work closely with Potomac Law Group’s corporate, intellectual property, tax, and government contracts attorneys to provide the full range of business-related services. We also work closely with the firm’s litigators to enhance litigation services with our extensive knowledge of educational institutions.