Neil Belson is a business-savvy attorney with nearly thirty years experience creating, negotiating and closing innovative deals for the development, transfer and protection of critical technologies. Having founded and sold an industrial biotechnology company, Neil knows firsthand the challenges his clients face and prides himself on providing pragmatic real-world solutions to complex business challenges.
Mr. Belson advises life sciences, pharmaceutical and technology companies on a wide range of transactional and regulatory matters, including license agreements, technology-related transactions, collaborations and joint development projects, research and development, clinical trials, supply and manufacturing, purchases and sales, information technology and privacy issues. Mr. Belson often serves as external in-house counsel for life science and technology companies. He has successfully negotiated several hundred agreements involving technology and intellectual property.
In addition to his legal experience, Neil Belson is a co-inventor on four patents and patent applications. He also served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Dominican Republic.
- Handled substantially all transactional legal matters for a $1 billion+ international specialty pharmaceutical company. Simultaneously supported multiple corporate groups including Research & Development, Business Development, Pharmacovigilance and Information Technology (IT).
- Regularly serves as sole legal advisor for clinical drug trials. Drafts and negotiates agreements with CRO’s, clinical trial sites, IRB’s, drug manufacturers and suppliers, and review informed consent forms.
- Developed and implemented intellectual property strategy for an industrial biotechnology company. Also selected and oversaw outside patent counsel.
- Technology and IP transactions advisor to multiple business incubators.
- Conceived of and negotiated collaboration involving three major state universities which established a pilot processing facility for a novel protein.
- Anderson, Kill Olick and Oshinsky, Washington, D.C.
- Arnold & Porter, Washington, D.C.
- NewAgriculture, Inc., Founder and President
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- “Patent Trolling and Life Sciences Industry.” Presented at webinar sponsored by HB Litigation Conferences, July 24, 2014.
- “Life Sciences Trends That Affect Your Business,” Harvard Law School Association meeting on Tech Law, Washington, D.C. (November 2013).
- “U.S. Regulation of Agricultural Biotechnology,” AgBioForum, 3(4): 15 (2000). http://www.agbioforum.org/v3n4/v3n4a15-belson.htm.
- Spanish (bilingual)