Kevin P. Stogner focuses his practice on state and local government work, with broad experience in administrative law, local government affairs and regulatory matters as well as in litigation and general corporate representation.
Mr. Stogner has worked extensively in the public sector, serving as general counsel to the Committee on Finance and Revenue of the District of Columbia legislature. In this role, he conducted oversight of executive agencies and worked on budget, finance and tax policy issues, along with a broad portfolio of other legislative matters. Mr. Stogner also served as investigative and legislative counsel to an individual member of the District of Columbia legislature. In that capacity, he led investigations in the health care context, utilizing legislative subpoenas, relating to patient safety and privacy, the quality and accessibility of services, and general corporate and business practices within the pharmaceutical industry, while managing a diverse legislative portfolio. Mr. Stogner has experience representing both governments as well as clients seeking relief from the government in a legislative, regulatory or licensing context.
Mr. Stogner has also represented numerous corporations and individuals in corporate, government affairs, federal and state regulatory compliance matters, and investigative matters. Mr. Stogner has represented corporations and non-profits as a registered lobbyist as well as provided advice behind the scenes as needed. As part of his corporate practice, he often serves as an outside general counsel, advising on a variety of corporate or litigation matters and working with other subject matter experts within the firm as appropriate in such matters as tax, employment, consumer protection, trade, government contracting and other matters. He also drafts and reviews commercial agreements, as well as performs contract review and due diligence for corporate transactions.
Mr. Stogner also has significant litigation experience, beginning his legal career with a federal clerkship for Judge John F. Nangle in the Southern District of Georgia and advising on a number of litigation or potential litigation matters for a variety of clients.
- Worked on a number of legislative, regulatory and budget matters involving economic development, real estate, bond financing, transportation, financial services, consumer protection, health insurance, public safety, food policy and other matters
- Represented a major real estate developer relating to the surplus and disposition of public land in the District of Columbia
- Represented an Ivy League university in a transaction with the District of Columbia government
- Provided consulting services relating to the District of Columbia budget to a legislative committee of the Council of the District of Columbia
- Represented multiple corporate entities with licensing needs before the District of Columbia government
- Provided lobbying services to a substantial public-private partnership, obtaining $6 million in additional government funding for the nonprofit organization
- Monitor District of Columbia Condominium Act and provide advice to condominium owners association in various governance, insurance, litigation and tax-related contexts
- Reviewed and catalogued a variety of agreements for internal corporate databases
- Prepared disclosure documents and conducted due diligence for capital markets projects
- Reviewed and drafted complex financial disclosures and related SEC compliance issues for public companies ranging from Fortune 50 to small-cap issuers
- Managed teams of up to 25 attorneys and accounting consultants
- Represented listed companies in Nasdaq delisting proceedings
- Represented issuers in securities compliance matters in the reporting and transactional contexts, including extensive application of the Securities Act, the Exchange Act, Regulation S-K, Regulation S-X, and NYSE and Nasdaq listing requirements
- Advised public companies, directors and other clients in corporate governance, internal investigation, securities regulation, corporate finance and merger and acquisition matters
- Counseled issuers and underwriters in the public offering process and acted as special counsel for boards of directors, audit committees and special committees on governance issues, corporate crises and business combination proposals
- Committee on Finance and Revenue, Council of the District of Columbia, General Counsel
- Latham & Watkins LLP, Associate
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Regular guest lecturer on District of Columbia budget, legislative process and executive oversight at the Legislative Clinic, University of the District of Columbia, David A. Clarke School of Law
- Provided voter protection and public policy advice on a number of local and federal political campaigns
- Served as a Special Ballot Clerk for the District of Columbia Board of Elections and Ethics and performed same-day voter registration
- Served as liaison to Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2A and the Foggy Bottom Community; performed extensive work with community groups on policy issues
- The Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- The Mississippi Center for Justice (relating to Hurricane Katrina)
- Children’s Law Center