Katherine Barker Marshall is Counsel in the firm’s Media, Entertainment, & Communications, Technology & IP Transactions, and Privacy & Cybersecurity practices. Ms. Marshall routinely advises wireless carriers, wireline carriers, infrastructure companies, emerging technology companies, satellite companies, and voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) providers on local, state, and federal regulatory and transactional issues.
Specifically, Ms. Marshall counsels clients in matters relating to licensing and tariffing, mergers and acquisitions, privacy, launch strategies, universal service, numbering, regulatory compliance, access to the rights-of-way, pole attachment issues, and consumer complaints. She has drafted service agreements for use with both carrier-customers and consumers. Ms. Marshall routinely advises non-carrier and corporate clients on various telecommunications issues, including private wireless licensing for industrial use, provisioning of service, access to universal service monies, and E911 issues.
- Represented several international carriers and satellite providers seeking to operate within the United States before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other executive agencies, and has obtained clearance for these carriers to commence their US operations.
- Successfully appealed adverse decision of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) to the FCC.
- Represented competitive carriers, VoIP providers, and wireless carriers before the FCC, and all fifty state public utility commissions in various regulatory matters including: transactions, licensing, interconnection, audits, consumer and carrier complaints, and intercarrier compensation.
- Drafted and reviewed Terms of Service, tariffs, Master Service Agreements, and other associated contracts for communications service providers.
- Created and drafted policy manuals for use in instructing employees on the proper use of customer proprietary network information, and other privacy and regulatory compliance obligations.
- Advised wireline and wireless carriers, VoIP providers, and other required filers on matters relating to federal Universal Service Fund reporting and compliance.
- Arent Fox LLP, Senior Attorney, Communications, Technology and Mobile Group
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, LLP, Associate, Communications Technology and Media
- Kelley Drye and Warren, LLP, Associate, Telecommunications
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Currently serves as Pro Bono Counsel to WMLZ-LP FM, Bedford High School, Temperance, MI
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Member and former Co-Chair of the State and Local Practice Committee