Juliet Drake is Counsel in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Litigation practice groups. Ms. Drake has significant experience in bankruptcy matters that enables her to provide guidance to companies that are financially challenged and in need of restructuring through Chapter 11, liquidation through Chapter 7, and liquidation through state law. She also advises secured lenders, unsecured creditors and counter-parties to contracts with bankrupt entities, equity holders, and businesses seeking to purchase assets out of bankruptcy. Ms. Drake has experience with the prosecution and defense of proofs of claim, fraudulent conveyance and avoidance actions, the assumption or rejection of executory contracts and matters relating to the automatic stay.
Ms. Drake has broad litigation experience derived from her bankruptcy practice, as well as her representation of clients in contract disputes, products liability cases, antitrust litigation and white collar matters. She has represented both large and small corporate entities through all stages of litigation and settlement negotiation.
- Chapter 11 debtors’ counsel to Covanta Energy, Apex Silver Mines, and Nortel Networks.
- Successfully represented multinational chemical corporation in Chapter 11 proceeding of Calpine Corporation by renegotiating a series of executory contracts that comprised the complex business relationship between the two entities.
- Successfully negotiated secured status of claim of multinational finance company in Chapter 11 proceeding of Hawaiian Telcom.
- Represented equity holder, one of the largest private equity investment firms in the world, in Chapter 11 proceeding of Aleris Corporation.
- Served as counsel to the trustee in the SIPC liquidation proceedings of broker-dealers Adler Coleman & Company and Churchill Securities.
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, Associate
PRO BONO AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Represented homeless men wrongfully paid below the minimum wage in the District of Columbia and Maryland.
- Represented battered women in obtaining protective orders, divorces and visas.
- Founded Helping Our Students Thrive, Inc., an education nonprofit focusing on finding internships for high school students matched with their interests.
- Board member of the Aurora Project, a West Virginia arts nonprofit.
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS