Andrea L. Charters helps Chinese and other international companies conduct and complete successful business transactions and investments in U.S. technology hardware and software businesses. Ms. Charters’ clients appreciate her winning strategic and straightforward approach, which is rooted in her 20 years of specific expertise in this area, her cultural sensitivity, and her ability to navigate even the most complicated international business challenges. She speaks Mandarin Chinese fluently and has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law teaching international business transactions at Washington University School of Law.
The core of Ms. Charters’ practice revolves around advising Chinese and international companies about optimal legal strategies to achieve their business goals and negotiating and drafting the key documents to implement those goals. These include:
- corporate acquisitions, divestitures and mergers (“M&A”) investments and related: letters of intent and memorandums of understanding; stockholder agreements and limited liability company operating agreements; loans; leases; non-disclosure and non-competition agreements; commercial and service agreements; and corporate governance and corporate controls issues;
- joint ventures; agent and distributor contracts; real estate investment group agreements; leases; licensing and intellectual property agreements for technology transactions; and software technology and Cloud computing contracts;
- U.S. regulatory aspects of investment in the United States, including restrictions on the strategic aspects of investment in the U.S. by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS); the U.S. aspects of international commercial accords; U.S. Export-Import Bank financings; the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); and data privacy and information security.
- Negotiated and drafted all phases of documentation of three high technology M&A transactions valued at over $100 million in the aggregate of a DC-area high technology company
- Negotiated and drafted documentation of a $2 million high technology joint venture investment in the United States for a leading Chinese listed company
- Led loan negotiation and documentation for a major DC area technology company of $28 million facility from a national U.S. bank
- Led contract and privacy due diligence and advised as to negotiation strategy for a $30 million acquisition of a European software company
- Provided Cloud computing and information technology backbone contract negotiation and privacy compliance representation for a leading software provider with over $250 million of revenues over a period of four years as lead privacy attorney and central player in Cloud representation
- Rosetta Stone Inc., Vice President & Associate General Counsel
- The Fairchild Corporation, Assistant General Counsel
- Washington University in St. Louis, Adjunct Professor
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Worldwide Who’s Who, Executive of the Year Representing Corporate Law, 2014, VIP, 2013
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), Outstanding In-House Counsel Finalist, Washington Metro Area (WMACCA), 2013
- Inside Counsel Magazine Super Conference, Advisory Board Member, 2013-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, 1999-Present
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Harvard Law School Alumni Association
- American Bar Association
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- “Managing Cross-Functional Teams: The More-than-one-trick Lawyer,” Association of Corporate Counsel Docket (March 2013).
- 13 CISG-UP and Art. 65 CISG-PECL, in J. Felemegas, Ed., An International Approach to the Interpretation of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (1980) as Uniform Sales Law (Cambridge University Press, 2007)
- Fitting the “Situation”: The CISG and the Regulated Market, 4 Wash. U. Global Studies L. Rev. 1 (2005)
- “Getting Best Value for an Enterprise,” McLean Estate Planning Council (2015).
- “Managing Cross-Functional Teams for Data Privacy, Data Security and Crisis Management,” Inside Counsel Super Conference (2013).
- “Managing Your International Business,” Inside Counsel Super Conference (2012).
- “Privacy 101,” ACC Annual Meeting (2011).
- “Data Leak Prevention,” Washington Area Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association (2011).